• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Steve Bench's tube crossover - Help needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Steve Bench's tube crossover is said to be good sounding and I want to build it.
But how to scale the resistors R4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11 and 12 for 500 HZ?
I think the caps. are the same as in the 800 HZ schematic.
Can anybody help me with this?

Attachments

• ReadMeXO.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 74
  • xover.gif
    xover.gif
    45.1 KB · Views: 363
I have tried to estimate, but do not find the interpolation factor to be constant.
Spice is unknown to me. I have been building many amplifiers etc. from schematics, but my theoretical knowledge is very limited. So here it stops.
Still have a hope to avoid spending $4000 on a Marchand crossover.
Anyway all replies are appreciated.

Good you mention this as I don't want to introduce distortion.
It's a problem that the schematics I have seen are missing attenuators which should be a natural part of a crossover. I purchased the TCJ Filter Program, but not even there is an attenuator circuit shown.
I have no idea how this shall be done, can you explain?

Steve Bench's crossover, or can TCJ Filter Designer make it better?

I would buffer any level controls with a CF to insure that the curves are not distorted by the gain setting or better yet put the gain controls in the following PA section.

What is a CF?
May be it is better that I make a buffered 12dB 500HZ Linkwitz-Riley filter with TCJ Filter Designer.
It suits my Altec Voice of the Theatre better.
Will the signal be attenuated without deterioration with that buffer stage ?

I am now also thinking about making a new tube line amp integrated with a tube crossover.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Last edited:
LF/HF level controls

You could replace R8 and R14 with pots for separate high and low frequency volume attenuation.

I had a friend build a stereo version of this crossover and I insisted he installed output level pots. He did and I found hum problems when I put it in the system.

I now have tube amps that have level controls on their inputs and I'll be removing the pots and try that to see if the hum problem goes away or not.

I should be able to post here near the end of Sept when I have time to remove the pots and install in a system.

Sorry it will be so long, but I have too many other irons in the fire att.

Regards, Ron

CF = Cathode Follower. Non inverting unity(ish) gain buffer. Essentially each stage of Steve's crossover is a CF with tricky feedback arrangement to get the 3rd order filter. I am suggesting that you use one to buffer any gain controls so that changes in load or source impedance don't muck with your response... or just rely on the gain controls on your power amps.

Easy solution, but are you sure it doesn't deteriorate the signal.

The more I talk audio on the web the less sure I am about anything. Input pots on your power amps would be the best solution but if you don't have those then use output pots on the crossover. With reasonably short interconnects it shouldn't be a problem but if it is then use a CF like mashaffer said.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.