Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker

I think I have already suggested the large magnetostat from Expolinear side-mounted. Even a 38 mm dome starts beaming only at 5 kHz. The alternative would be one rear-mounted (high sensitivity) dome.

Are you meanwhile able to localize the front-mounted fullranger in your single stereo speaker?

Last edited:
I think I have already suggested the large magnetostat from Expolinear side-mounted. Even a 38 mm dome starts beaming only at 5 kHz. The alternative would be one rear-mounted (high sensitivity) dome.

I think with only two side firing elements the mono center sound is not as homogenous with side panned sound because in this case the direct sound is 90 degrees element off axis sound which is frequency dependent.
And, if the purpose was to attenuate the center direct sound for mono signal then normal 2 speaker stereo would be just fine.

The benefit of 3 identical elements with matrix is the ability to steer the main radiation direction according to the stereo panning. It works for center mono signal as well as side panned signals, with the help of side walls of course.

Are you meanwhile able to localize the front-mounted fullranger in your single stereo speaker?

No, the speaker is not localisable if listening distance is kept proper and the psychoacoustic filter is used. The purpose of the filter is to remove some of the treble from the center element and boost the treble to the side elements, while the overall power response is almost constant.

- Elias

Depends on your goals and tastes. This driver has very ragged behavior above 4Khz, as many drivers this size do. This not the same as a rising response, and what users cite as clarity is actually a cone that is poorly controlled up there.

This may not be a problem for the side firing units, as their output will highly diffused. The front unit may require a low pass at a much lower frequency than one might imagine in order to disappear.

“Monster Audio” HP-02: L' UNICO SISTEMA AL MONDO STEREO SINGLE CABINET!!!

Monster Audio HP02 - Openitem

attachment.php

Openitem%20X%20Audio%20-%20P1000891.JPG

Attachments

• MONSTER%20AUDIO%20HP-02%20CATALOGO.jpg
    MONSTER%20AUDIO%20HP-02%20CATALOGO.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1,206
nevertheless I am highly sceptical, what kind of SSS is that exactly?

Because some basic symmetry of the room layout is typically required by any SSS setup and I can't see any such symmetry at the pictures from B-O .

and this:
Sound separation is excellent too with the wide diameter and curved front doing a fine job of dispersing channels around the room. Yes a HiFi separates system or x.1 surround sound system by definition would spread sound more evenly around large open spaces, but the ability of the A9 to compete with them should not be underestimated.

doesn't sound very promising.

Last edited:
nevertheless I am highly sceptical, what kind of SSS is that exactly?

Because some basic symmetry of the room layout is typically required by any SSS setup and I can't see any such symmetry at the pictures from B-O .

It's the nice thought that counts :D

Nevertheless, these single box stereo speakers appear very common nowadays. It shows the consumer trend, which is totally to the opposite direction than 5.1, 7.x or 10.x or whatever multiple speaker home systems that were supposed to be the norm still some time ago.

It looks like the industry is finally getting to understand people do not want to place N number of speakers in their living spaces.

Single stereo speaker is better :)

- Elias

But stereophonic sound from a single speaker is nothing new.

Here Magnavox, from the year of sword and helmet ! :D

attachment.php

Relevant question is what went wrong when people were pushed to have multiple of speakers in their homes ??

It looks like finally we are going back to the roots and enjoy stereophonic sound from a single speaker again ;)

- Elias

Attachments

• magnavox-astrosonic-console-amp-speaker-1.jpg
    magnavox-astrosonic-console-amp-speaker-1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 914
I'd imagine most want an excellent sounding jukebox in their house (even me).

Fun and great sound everywhere, as opposed to the surgeon's knife in the "perfect setup" that is usually living room (main room, whatever) unfriendly.

Oh yea, it should also pass the "Where's the beef ?" test (bass).

Norman

Last edited:
and unobtrusive, H.A. Hartley's ideal of "audio as a room service like central heating"

However I think that the SSS concept haven't reach that level of unobtrusivity yet.

What is needed is a true SSS soundbar designed to be mounted on the wall below or above the TV set.

and unobtrusive, H.A. Hartley's ideal of "audio as a room service like central heating"

However I think that the SSS concept haven't reach that level of unobtrusivity yet.

What is needed is a true SSS soundbar designed to be mounted on the wall below or above the TV set.

Not necessarily is unobtrusiveness a goal. For example having a Ferrari would be a vaste if it would be unobtrusive ;) Same goes for audio.

I think the word soundbar already has a negative tone. Propably because implementations has mainly been whimpy plastic boxes with pathetic full range drivers to reach for the low price point. Another current problem with soundbar is they are for home movie systems and projecting a movie effect from the front speaker to be perceived as coming from the back via room reflections is hard enough to be a failure.

But for frontal music presentation a properly designed and high quality soundbar might be usefull. Why such thing does not exists yet that I don't know.

- Elias

I'd imagine most want an excellent sounding jukebox in their house (even me).

Fun and great sound everywhere, as opposed to the surgeon's knife in the "perfect setup" that is usually living room (main room, whatever) unfriendly.

Yes, of course, that is true. It's actually hard to think someone not wanting that :D

Oh yea, it should also pass the "Where's the beef ?" test (bass).

Norman

Bass should be relatively easy task for jukebox size enclosure.

Those single box stereo speakers that are on the market today are, for some reasons, too small I think ! Easily any living room can fit one washing machine sized box at least, right :)

- Elias