Stereophile review of XA 160

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't subscribed to Stereophile for years, but i was always
under the assumption that the write up of the product under
review was made available to the manufacturer before publishing.
This would allow comments to be included in the
Manufacturers' Comments column that runs in the same issue.

Maybe Stereophile doesn't do that anymore.

But, if they screwed up making measurements, it seems only fair
that Pass Labs be allowed to comment.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm sure they still do as a policy, although we do not respond
as a policy. In this case, things seemed to have slipped through
the cracks, as we did not receive an advance copy of the
review or an invitation to respond. I'm certain that this was
simply accidental, as Stereophile has always been very
professional and have gone out of their way to treat us well.

Despite the discrepancy in the maximum power spec, I regard
it as a very positive review. :cool:

Nelson Pass said:
I expect to receive the units today, and we'll check the
power to see what might have happened.

Please let us know what happened, I read the review yesterday and the measurement part reads like a mistery novel. I'd like to know who the killer was ;)

I thought that the amp got bashed toward the end when when it was compared to the Halo, with the higher power consumption and the discrepancy in the measurement piled on top of it.
A 35% difference in the measured power should have at least warranted a phone call.

It seems that the guy that did the measurement had the right equipment. Does anybody know how much money is an Audio Precision console?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So here's the final poop on the subject. To sum up:

Stereophile reviewed a pair of XA160 amplifiers that are rated at 160 watts per channel into 8 ohms. In spite of what we consider to be a rave review, they did not meet their full power spec. Unfortunately we did not hear about this until after the review. Although their policy is to inform a manufacturer of such a discrepancy, this didn't happen, so it was a bit of a surprise.

When we received the amplifiers back, we did indeed confirm the wattage shortfall, which was due to maladjustment. This was easily corrected, and the amps do indeed measure 160 watts.

How does does something like this happen? Tracing it back, the "sales department" took the amplifiers home for subjective listening and because they were happy, the amps fell through the cracks with regard to bench testing.

Does this alter the "tone" of the review with regard to the sound? I think only to the extent that they possibly sound a bit better. Then again, maybe not.

Do owners have a reason for concern? Not particularly. First, there could only be a few such units out there at most. Second, such a maladjustment does not have an effect on reliability and only a slight effect on the sound.

A U.S. customer concerned that his XA160's might not meet spec can arrange to have the units examined at the factory and readjusted if necessary without cost, and Pass Labs will pay the freight both ways. This offer will extend indefinitely to XA160's from the first units made to those shipped in September 2003. Just call Peter at (530) 367 3690 for arrangements.

Customers outside of the U.S. would want to contact their local dealer/distributor, but wait a week or so to allow us time to get them the proper information.

We apologize for the mishap. Like any other human endeavor, mistakes happen, but we feel the measure of a company is in its response to the customer, and as always, we do our best to make our customers happy. :cool:

Bravo Nelson. Unfortunately reviews never touch on the outstanding customer service and support a company renders. Service and support in my thinking should comprise 50% of the potential customers buying criteria. In the venacular, "The best sounding amp is useless if it sits idle due to poor QA and a company that does not back their products or customers". I guess the old addage is true. "If you treat your existing installed base properly, you can expect to get 80% of your sales from 20% of your customers because they always come back". Buying is emotional, people buy from people and companies they trust, and have come to rely on......you know the drill, enough said. Good job!

Years ago I represented a prestigious refrigerator line, Sub Zero. Consumer Reports tested one, and gave it an absolutely horrible review. The unit failed when it was placed in a 110F ambient environment. It would not keep food even close to its rated specification of 36F. Incidentally, the magazine gave winning marks to its competitor, a model known among dealers for premature failure. Although few of Sub Zero's customers actually read the piece, the review had indeed cast a bad light on the finest refrigerator company in the world. Later, after the unit was returned, a defective condenser fan was discovered. Unfortunately, these things happen from time to time. In the Sub Zero case, Consumer Review printed its first, and only, retraction. The magazine that previously awarded Pass Labs an "A" should know that something is surely wrong here, and we should take anything that is sold by the column inch with a grain of salt. I would suggest that your ears be your guide.

Review of the X160 in "Image HiFi Germany

Bought the German (and pretty serious) magazine "Image HiFi", yesterday, which treats only Hi End gear, and many tube and analogue fans there.
Congratulation Mr. Pass: the German likes it very much. Reading between the lines, the author (Dirk Sommer, the Editor in chief and definitive Vinyl Fan) was expressing his preference for the X160 than some German amps, which is some result! Knowing a little the Germans, and their love for local production (and they have a lot of stuff, pretty unknown in the States), it's an oustanding performance to be treated like that.
He partly connected the X160 with the X0.2 (which was actually not part of the review), he raised into the seventh (HiFi) heaven.

Hope this will make some sales for you in Europe; and, will push me definitively to build my own Pass Amp, but am still undecided which model (oh, they are soo many...):confused:

- daniel

-See also: www.image-hifi.com then click on "archiv" then on N° "54"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.