Steel Angle as Toroidal Transformer bracket - Steel thickness?

G'day Guys,

I am intending to use some 125x75 mild steel angle as a bracket to mount a Toroidal transformer on its side.

My local supplier has 6mm, 8mm, 10mm and 12mm thickness available.

12mm seems a bit silly. Its only a 300VA transformer.

Is 6mm going to be rigid enough?
10mm also silly?
8mm a happy medium?

Just go with the 6mm?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
125 x 75 even if 6mm thick would suport a person, (or a small car). Something like 40 x 40 x 3 would be more than enough. Many times transformers are just bolted to the chassis base which is normally 1.2mm to 1.5mm thick. Could you post a picture of the chassis showing detail?

Here is what I was aiming at.
20240309_205608.jpg
20240309_205620.jpg

It wasn't so much a question of whether 6mm was strong enough for the weight so much as rigid enough (perhaps the wrong term?) to not flop around.

I play with 1.2mm steel a fair bit and it has a bit of flex to it. Something tells me 6mm won't....

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was mistaken about the Simpson Strong-Tie angles that I have used for toroid mounts. They are 12 gauge, not 16 gauge, so they are just over 2 mm thick. Available at Home Depot and they are easily drilled to customize for your application. They are plenty rigid.

Attachments

• ToroidMountingAngle.JPG
    ToroidMountingAngle.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the engineering lesson Guys. It's always nice to learn where I am being silly.

Thankfully. The 6mm angle is cheaper than buying brackets from our local big box.
Cheaper and more hefty.

Being a numbskull such as I am. I like heft for the sake of heft.
In my albeit audiophool understanding of things. A heavier chassis will also be more damped in terms of vibration which at the margins can translate to a lower noise floor.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Simpson Strong-Tie A24 is what I have used, currently US $4.48 each at Home Depot in the USA.

Home Depot A24
To me, this is a good option, and if using heavier transformers one could always use two brackets either mirror image or not, and mount the transformer between them in effect on an axle (the bolt (plastic if possible)). (Extra holes can be drilled (higher up) if needed to suit larger diameters of transformer).