Starting a High Power Design. . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
djk said:
Hmmm, I would do exactly what Crest did and run two identical 45-0-45 in series.

The Crest 8000 was probably the most used amp in pro sound hire companies (touring) for bass (until they came out with even larger, newer designs).

You will also be able to find surplus 40-0-40V and 45-0-45V transformers (40-0-40V is only 1dB less power), You could use two small 800VA ones per channel, or one pair of 1.5KVA ones similar to what Crest did.

[/B]

Hey djk,

Now that makes sense to me! I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack. . . especially
when you are an LED sitting between six 1000 Watt halogens. . .

so, the low rail would suck from one 45-0-45 transformer, while the second would suck from both in series?

Or stated another way, a single transformer with 45-0-45, 45-0-45 secondaries would
provide one channel with both the low rails and the high. . . Low rails sucking from one set
of secondaries, the high rails sucking from both in series?

Thank you so much!

Swagboy

high power

P.S. each chip is parellel there for see's the load directly 4ohm speaker each chip see's 4ohms. So each chip current shares output with all others, so each chip produces 56watts at 8ohms at a 76VDC swing times 4 for each leg of the bridge 224 watts then double the voltage swing from the other side of the bridge 448 watts continuous into 8ohms at .01 THD 5 to 35Khz. At a pulsed sine wave at 1Khz Ive tracked 812watts at 2ms intervals. Dynamic power is well over 450 watts.
No I would not have ever believed it myself until I set out to build one.
I first built a simple single chip amp, but not enough power for my use so I built one that was, actually 3 or 4.

"trust me when I say this way to small amp out performs my Carvers both pro units and home I have a 4.0t, 1.5t and there PM counterparts, and the design can be up scaled to lager limits."

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

I posted a gainclone design for 1.5KW using the LM3886 in suspended supply mode, do a search.

There are better ways of getting 1.5KW, that's what were are discussing.

Close to up state NY, I will prove it :devilr:
Ive built amps for 20 some years now, and this chip amp design is by far the most dynamic, period! Better sound, deeper extension and more control. I would share the schematic but I would like to wait until I get the patent finalized.
Remember people told Edison the light bulb was impossible, hearing and seeing is believing.

P.S. by the way those are 635VA transformers that "little amp" can draw down the secoundary by 5 to 10VDC, it needs more transformer for solid RMS and dynamic power tests. By the way that is 1.33KW worth of supply. Granted that is for two channels:confused:

Workhorse said:
Hi Swagboy,

Whats your progress report.....Any further developments....?

regards,
K a n w a r

Hey Workhorse,

Well, kinda slowed down a bit here. . . I have received two matching transformers for another project (30volt secondaries). I think I am going to experiment with them in the series configuration that has been suggested, to see if it will work. Other than that, It seems like the best thing to do is to go on to drawing up a prototype amp and let everybody help me fix it. . .

Is there a program for Macintosh cpus for doing circuit design? At least one that is inexpensive?

Thanks for all your help!

Failure to follow ones dreams is let eveyone else win, those who say you can't do things. The human spirit and imagination should not and cannot be dominated. Let's try to to do this one!

P.S. Will the plastic MJL21193/94's work for this project or do I need the To-3 metal ones?

Thanks!

Swagboy

Hi,
the To3s will allow higher temperatures and can dissipate more power than the plastic package (To147 or To264?).

Alternatively you have a larger margin of safety thereby increasing reliability and life span.

You make the choice, but either will do the job if properly designed.

A suspended supply is where the ground reference for the power supply for the front end amplifier is hooked to the main amplifier output.

A front end normally would have to swing the full rail-to-rail voltage on the output stages. You can use an opamp in suspended supply mode running on +/- 15V and drive the outputs from rail to rail.

swagboy said:

P.S. Will the plastic MJL21193/94's work for this project or do I need the To-3 metal ones?

Thanks!

Swagboy

Hi Swagboy,

The Plastic Power Trannies are much easier to mount but dissipation capability is lower than Metal types, again If you were into Class-G then dissipation wont be a problem because of increased efficiency of that topology...

regards,
K a n w a r

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.