Starting a First Watt F3 build and need some help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks Nelson,

Look at the F3 service manual guys, PSU PCB, options A,B and C ( the one for F3 ).

Naturaly this means that the schematic changes....the GND line ( for F3 ) will be the ( - ) and both center taps are just connected together ...not connected to audio channels.

Right Nelson ?

:cool:

Well I finally got the amp mostly together and think I either have a short in the right channel or blew something.

Looking on the First Watt F3 R0 Schematic here are the voltages I get at the measurement points. The amp does not generate sound.

Input Target 46V Left: 42.9V Right: 42.9V
Next to Q5 Target Voltage 41V Left: 30.2V Right: 34.4V
In front of C1 Target 21V Left:16V Right:0V
Next to Q2 Target 3.5V Left: 0.6V Right:0V
Jfet voltage Target 1.1V Left: 0.6V Right: 0V

Any advice on where to go from here? I am out of ideas. On the left channel I was only able to get 16V tops by adjusting the potentiometer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Left Side Mosfet Top Pin:32V Middle Pin: 50.5V Bottom Pin 35.4V

Right side mosfet Top Pin: 35.4V MIddle Pin: 50.5V Bottom Pin: 32.5V

I'm not positive as to which one is gate and source so I tried a graphical top down representation. The middle pin is the source I would assume, 35.4 is the gate and 32.5V is the drain.

I pulled all of the voltages again on the board.

Input Target 46V Left: 50.5V Right: 50.5V
In front of C1 Target 21V Left:32V Right:0V
Next to Q2 (R11) Target 3.5V Left: 12.88V Right:0V
Jfet voltage Target 1.1V Left: 0V Right: 0V

I know this might be difficult to interpret but I will do my best to clear up anything that seems ambiguous. Thanks.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
MikeW said:
There should not be a drop across R19. It is there along with C5 to give a nice stable voltage to the Gate of Q5. R20 is a gate stopper so the MOSFET doesn't self oscillate. Check and see if something else is connected to the Gate of Q5 or R19.

Or see if there is any voltage drop across R20 - there shouldn't be
any.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.