Starting a curved baffle dipole woofer array project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's progressing---at a glacial pace, but progressing. Things have been so slow, as a result of limited time to work on them, that I figured I wouldn't test everyone's patience by updating the thread. I've tried lots of tricks, some of which simply haven't worked, so I've had to take some steps backward. The curved baffles are built, the gaps between the fiberglass and the MDF core are filled with sand and polyurethane resin, I have horizontal braces built to fit into the concave portion of the baffle, and I finally figured out how to attach a rear "spine" that will hold the woofer magnets and stiffen the baffle in the front-to-back direction.

I tried coating the fronts of the baffles with black fiberglass to achieve a carbon fiber look, but the fiberglass didn't wet well with epoxy so I ended up having to undo that step (what a PITA that was!). I've now coated the fronts with non-yellowing epoxy colored with white pigment, thinking I would leave that as the final surface (after sanding). I realized, though, that I would have to coat that with a clear coat to protect the epoxy from UV light, so I think I'm going to resort to white paint after all is said and done.

The electrostatic portion of the project is moving forward slowly as well, but I'm blindly optimistic that a flurry of progress is just around the corner.

Few

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.