• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Stand alone gain stage pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I run a Tube Amp based system. I run with a passive preamp. The system works well for me for the most. I have a good CD Player with a good signal to drive a passive pre based system. I also have the same for digial DAC stuff.

I have a Motorola Digital Converter box for my Cable TV service. Kinda junk. If I have my preamp set at like 50% and I’m listening to the CD player the music is loud and dynamic .. I switch over to the converter box I need to adjust the vol to about 70% to get the same volume and dynamics… It just seems like I could use a gain stage between this converter box and my passive.

So, I was thinking of building some form of simple gain stage with a Potentimeter. So the pot could be adjusted to an ouput of 2volt up to 5 volt output. Some sort of Simple Class A gain stage… 12AU7? Pot to adjust the overall gain. This is sort of like the stage built into a nicer CD player output I think.

So that is my thought… Wondering if anyone has knowledge of a design or a DIY product / kit that sounds like a good fit for this. I’d like to keep it cheap but would entertain any and all ideas. I’ve built Amps, passives, speakers… I’m not educated enough with the hobby to design.

Thanks DIY-ers!

So the pot could be adjusted to an ouput of 2volt up to 5 volt output.

That's a gain of only 2.5X. The lowest gain that would be easily obtainable from a small triode would be about 12X. A lot of that gain would need to be knocked down by the pot. Maybe you'd want to use a pot to measure what voltage divider values (two resistors per channel) you'd need to adjust the output from the digital converter box to equal that from the CD output. In that case, most of the medium mu dual triodes would be useful, such as 6SN7, 6FQ7, 6N6P, 5687, and so on. 12AU7 would work too, but is thought to have worse distortion than the others. Put a voltage divider at the input to knock down some of the output from the cable converter box, so that the output from your tube gain stage roughly equals the output level from the CD player.

Since the audio quality from the converter is already somewhat compromised, I'll bet most would recommend a good quality dual opamp and set that for the required 2.5X gain. Much cheaper, low voltage, etc.

Anyway, that's my (humble, probably ill-informed) opinion. I hope it helps.

I don't know if the sound is compromised.. The signal is good.. It sounds great.. Just strange how much lower the gain is from other components I have connected to my passive preamp.

I've just been reading about Low Power Dual Operational Amplifiers. Interesting stuff. I like the theory on these. Cheap enough where I may just give this a run for the heck of it as a test. Spice 4 old RCA pairs of wires for an input / output in stereo...

So I'm thinking
I'd connect the postive of the input RCA L Channel to pin 3
I'd connect the GND of the input RCA L Channel to pin 2

I'd connect the postive of the input RCA R Channel to pin 5
I'd connect the GND of the input RCA R Channel to pin 6

I'd connect the postive of the output RCA L Channel to pin 1
I'd connect the postive of the output RCA R Channel to pin 7

I'd connect the GND of the output RCA L Channel to the GND of the Input RCA L Channel
I'd connect the GND of the output RCA R Channel to the GND of the Input RCA R Channel

Then I just control how strong in volts the output signal is by how much DC volt goes into Pin 8 (+) and Pin 4 (-). Perhaps just use 2 AAA battery which would be 3 volts.. Then 3 for 4.5 ect? Till the signal is strong enough?

October6201102.jpg

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How about a full on PreAmp board in place of the basic OpAmp. This is just 9 bucks

The NTE721 preamp circut.

NTE721

Wrong choice, this is intended for very high gain, low level applications, and in any event is not a complete solution - it is just a plastic dual in line package IC - AKA PDIP or DIP. (Used for phono amps, tape amps, and microphone amplifiers.)

I am still paying for my monoblock tube amps... Need to go cheap and run the OPAmp

I did some research and found the "Rod Elliott High Quality Audio Preamp (MkII)"

Rods HQ Pre Amp

This is 2 stages... I am newer to this so I drafted up a dummy version of the design Rod has... Just the 2 stages with the Volume Pot between the stages as he designed.

Do I have the Volume Pot. right? The 3 solder tabs?

OPAMP_PRE.jpg

Sorry,

Better photo.. So, Since I'm running a passive preamp... Thinking of just doing away with the Pot on this... Have this just be a gain stage and then use the 100k Attenuator on the passive. Think that works?

Do I need the Capacitor on the signal input?

OPAMP_PRE_V2.jpg

Last edited:
Better photo..

It should work well.

So, Since I'm running a passive preamp... Thinking of just doing away with the Pot on this... Have this just be a gain stage and then use the 100k Attenuator on the passive.

Once you have an active pre-amp, it's much better to skip the passive pre-amp and have only 1 unit, which will include the source selector, volume control and gain stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.