SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

A linear PSU consisting of transformer + rectifier + smoothing capacitor has enormous transient current capability. The down side is that the voltage available falls as current demand increases.
A series regulated linear PSU can have a very high transient current capability. The upside is that the voltage is more constant as current changes. But the reduction in absolute current output has been swapped for that reduced voltage change.
A shunt regulated linear PSU has an absolute current limit. The only component available to assist with transient current demand is the output capacitor.

Of the three options, I prefer the first for audio amplifiers.
Why you may ask? Because the design of the combined amplifier and regulated supply is very much more complicated than the design of a combined amplifier + unregulated linear PSU. Few can design Power Amplifiers. Even fewer can design for optimum integration of regulated PSU Power Amplifiers. Many will have you believe that you just pick an amplifier and pick a IC regulator and couple the two together. I don't believe that the majority of those Members even know what tests should be carried out to check for correct integaration of the reg+Amp, never mind the abilities nor resources to actually carry out that range of tests/checking.

Last edited:
thx merlin

what does theory and practice say about size of local load decaupling caps - Pass D1 I/V In that case - used with PSU with 10 uF output
do you use original 220 uF at Pass D1 I/V
I am not sure but from what I see values of decouple caps get lower toward load
I think it was Leach that gave an example of using too low a value of MF local decoupling capacitors. nThere have been a few others.

HF & MF local decoupling must be located in the correct positions to be effective. Further they must be selected to supply the transient currents demanded by the devices in the amplifier.

I

Hello gents,
How would you suggest a Salas shunt regulator would perform against a Placid HD when feeding a Buffalo-III
Many thanks
Tony

Prefer a well tuned Salas BiBs for the Legato over the Placid HD. For The B-III I am not sure there will be much difference (using it as a pre-reg for the Tridents), as my experience is the local Trident regs are what matters: some have used multiple Salas regs as local regs for Buffalo, they might have answers as well. The newer v3 Tridents are definitely better than the previous versions.

Thanks for the info.
I am about to have my first dabble with the Salas regulators thanks to Teabags latest GB.
I just tried some Trident v3 in place of my v1's and did not find a great difference. Difference was very small and more akin to rolling a feedback capacitor. Maybe they need some burnin?
I will find a use for the Salas somewere though and will try them on the Buffalo-III and the Legato.
I have not posted here before, being from pinkfish land and coming from the land of pink I tried the PFM Flea in place of the AVCC regulator and found a good improvement.

Will be intersting to hear more feedback.

Tony

Joined 2009
Paid Member
BiB powering BIII +5.25V 800mA scope shot with real load, it seems oscillating?

Attachments

• DSC00051.jpg
    DSC00051.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 312