SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

I'm performing two more changes for PSU for my J-Mo MkII amp. I already added 2200uF cups to KM's input, just in case, and I'm changing toroid to 20V secondary vs. 18V which I used till now. So my new delta on BIB Vin vs. Vout will be 10V. I have 6V now. RCruz reported quite big improvement when BIB Delta V is 10V. I'll report soon.

I'm performing two more changes for PSU for my J-Mo MkII amp. I already added 2200uF cups to KM's input, just in case, and I'm changing toroid to 20V secondary vs. 18V which I used till now. So my new delta on BIB Vin vs. Vout will be 10V. I have 6V now. RCruz reported quite big improvement when BIB Delta V is 10V. I'll report soon.

In did, my amp performance increased when I started to use AS-1220 (in my case, it is 20.8V secondary out).
It added more transparency to sound.
So, I have 24,7V in to BIB and 16V out. 8.7V delta vs. 6V with my old AS-1218. What is left, it is just to box it....

Another use of extraordinary BIB circuit. Best regulator that I assembled so far.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If using the two positive sections of course you can make two independent ones. If using one positive section only you could calculate an RC after the 8V consumption point for dropping down to 5V for the next point if you have analyzed or measured the current draw.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is the general JFET symbol analogy to the BJT symbol, so yes for any. Its just the way Eagle work came handy to crt at the time regarding his components library, those are the layout generator guide schematics you probably refer to, not meant for conventional schematic presentations.

Help with config

I've got to build two sslvs for the avcc of an Acko es9018 dac, 100mA total current, ~30mA draw by device, 70mA shunted, 9vdc out. There is a another reg in the circuit closer to the dac chip (and that one can be bypassed and an external three legged reg used instead, which I will alter on). I had a few questions that I need help with:

1) For digital circuits C301 is recommended to be lytic - would an oscon cap be a good idea here?

2) Any preference to using BJT or Mosfet? All my other ones have been Mosfet...

3) The build guide states "The higher the target Vout the more reliable a Zener reference is for low drift VS a resistor reference". Is the 9v high enough to prefer the zener reference or should I stick with the resistor for less noise?

Thanks.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
1. Oscon can be good there also. 470-1000uF

2. MOSFET is still good at 9V out. Keeps decent Zo at the low CCS current setting you plan.

3. Its low enough, stick with resistor.

(You could shunt 170mA from a 200mA total for better Zo if its manageable for sinking and available space)

Thanks Salas will do. I have enough sink to handle the 200mA, will do that.

I looked at digikey and mouser and oscons above 390uF only seem to go up to 20v rating. This being a 9v supply, is that ok?

Another unrelated but still important question: do you ever sleep or do you write these answers *while* sleeping? You are always here for support - much appreciated...

Last edited: