SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

With largish caps after the 317 it can be a good idea to have a protection diode backwards over the 317 to. It can die of a discharge.

I did that already.
I do not use protection diode between Adj and Out (based on LT317 specification is not required since its integrated), but I use diode connected backwards between In and Out.

Attachments

• Alex PSU final for MC_1.jpg
    Alex PSU final for MC_1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 211
To tell you my suspicion, I don't think it saturates as it is, else it would not kill any hiss. You can try and see. If no change in hiss, leave 500R in which "massages" the 317 better.

I tested it with 1K and it's actually got worth.
So, I returned 500R back.
I assume the remaining noise is probably conning from MC itself.
Strange behave surprised me when I touched the bodies (with my finger) of two Obligato 0.1uF caps on MC and another two MM. They all introduced low frequency humm.
To be honest, I removed transparent shrink from these prior installation (is was scratched), but I was 100% sure that external gold color body of Obligatos is isolated from the cap guts. Apparently, it is not and that metal body is a part of cap itself.

Now, I finalized that project and I'm ready to move forward towards Folded.
I'll compare Folded performance vs. BHL when it's done, and I have a high exceptions from Folded.
So far, BHL (MC+MM) with BIB PSU and LT317 based PSU for MC only is sounds very nice. I use Wilson and Benesch TT, Triode TRV-4SE Special Edition, Triode TRV-M300SE mono-blocks, and Acoustic Zen Adagios. I like BHL more than I connects TT to Triode TRV-4SE Special Edition MM. It has tube based MM integrated.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Metal enclosed capacitors can receive hum when their cases are touched or when there is an alternating magnetic field coupling. This thing almost stops if the case gets wired to ground (guarded). But its not to hassle about if they are not picking hum under normal conditions in your installation.

Alright well done, this is a boosted BHL PSU wise, I don't think you could have been fairer to it. You will listen to alternatives and decide yourself. Your system configuration is quite dear and seems capable of showing differences.

P.S. The interesting question for this thread specifically is, do you feel the PSUs work paid in some performance upgrade after all? Other BHL users would want to know I suppose.

Hi Salas,

This is exactly my point which I tried to share here!
I used my BHL MM with LT/LM317 before I got BIB. It is a day and night in sound. BIB brought sharpness, tightness and clarity.
It is a definitely the best PSU I ever tried.
Some might tested it with "glass-ware" H-PS-1, but I did not. BIB is my way to go! I'll might try other PSU for my MC in future, but MM with BIB is finished!

Hi Salas,

I made another experiment and I disconnected 100mA Ampere-meter previously connected in-between Raw DC and fist 1000uF cap of my MC PSU when my 2H 10mA 70 Ohm choke was installed. My hiss increased dramatically. I assume that Ampere-meter was doing duties of choke too. Now, I disconnected 2H 10 mA 70 Ohm choke too and connected my spare 220V primary of toroid transformer instead. Noise reduced to the level as ampere-meter and small choke was installed. I assume I need a new big choke for min 50mA or so. My question is how to choose Henries and DC resistance for my setup. Can you please advice me? Thank you.