SSLV1.1 builds & fairy tales

What did you need to do to replace the 100uf with .1uf film? Did you need to change the circuit in order to do that?

Thanks,
Mark

No changes, I just installed the .1 uF films instead of the 100 uF electrolytics. I mentioned this on TPA forums, and Russ White recommended not going below .1 uF in those locations. The Salas regs do not like to "see" lots of capacitance at their outputs (unless one adds additional damping to the regs themselves) nor do they seem to need it.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I am planning to power a BelCanto CD2 with a bib.... This CDP is normally powered by an external wallwart 12 psu specked at 0.5A max output.

I am having difficulties finding a schematic of the CDP so I do not know it's power consumption... a guess would be welcome.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I am planning to power a BelCanto CD2 with a bib.... This CDP is normally powered by an external wallwart 12 psu specked at 0.5A max output.

I am having difficulties finding a schematic of the CDP so I do not know it's power consumption... a guess would be welcome.

Easy put 100 ohms resistor in series and measure real consumption with DVM and ohms law to calculate.

I would also experiment with the onboard decoupling caps on the Legato (the 100 uF electrolytics), I changed all of them to .1 uF films
Thanks for this information. Yes, I suppose the TP designers were not necessarily thinking of this particular power supply when they designed the Legato.

100-150mA extra would fair bit better
I run my Legato with +/-15 V rails, and shunt around 160-200 mA. I feel the Legato sounds better at 15 VDC.
I want to use conservative values to keep the heat down, but OK, I will go up to 100mA shunt (still at 13V).

Now could someone check my calculations, please?
The DC-in will be 18V, target DC-out 13V.
Let's just focus on the negative rail - 190mA Legato draw + 100mA shunt = 290mA CCS. Thus:

- the R101 current setting resisor should be 12.7 ohms? (But 5W resistors are easier to buy as either 12 or 13 ohms).

- In the voltage reference section I will have 2x red LED's, a 1.8k resistor, and no diode,
so the R105 initial voltage trimmer value should be 500 ohms?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for this information. Yes, I suppose the TP designers were not necessarily thinking of this particular power supply when they designed the Legato.

I want to use conservative values to keep the heat down, but OK, I will go up to 100mA shunt (still at 13V).

Now could someone check my calculations, please?
The DC-in will be 18V, target DC-out 13V.
Let's just focus on the negative rail - 190mA Legato draw + 100mA shunt = 290mA CCS. Thus:

- the R101 current setting resisor should be 12.7 ohms? (But 5W resistors are easier to buy as either 12 or 13 ohms). If you use 13 ohms you will not have the necessary current, if you use 12 ohms you will have a little more of necessary current, if I was you I choose a little more of extra current

- In the voltage reference section I will have 2x red LED's, a 1.8k resistor, and no diode,
so the R105 initial voltage trimmer value should be 500 ohms? c. 10V-25V Mosfet reg. 2 1.9V LED, 1.8 kOhm R303. 5K trimmer. Other parts jumper (as per BiB pdf guide

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That one is bit beefier but has +260pF Ciss +70pF Crss above the standard. Not sure if it could create a functional problem but I don't like it for performance a least. Don't remember the designation right now, talking that resistor very near to the left most leg of the output Mosfet. Check that out for right value, make it half value, piggyback one the same, see if something changes.

Thanks for that information merlin el mago.
By the way, I will have the chance to see Barcelona/Catalonia this September!

I have another question: I'm a bit confused about the choice of capacitor for C101/C102.
For voltage reference I will be using resistance (2x 1.9V LED, R1.8k + 5k trimmer) not zener. The build guide says -
"A fully resistive choice can have smoother and lower noise spectrum to filter and lends for C102,202,302 MKT 4.7uF-10uF. 10uF filters better. Electrolytic 220uF is even more efficient a filter for sensitive digital and MC phono stages"

Given my situation - an I/V stage drawing a fairly constant 180mA per rail - at C101/C102 should I use 10uF/50V MKT or 220uF/50V electrolytic?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thanks for that information merlin el mago.
By the way, I will have the chance to see Barcelona/Catalonia this September!

I have another question: I'm a bit confused about the choice of capacitor for C101/C102.
For voltage reference I will be using resistance (2x 1.9V LED, R1.8k + 5k trimmer) not zener. The build guide says -
"A fully resistive choice can have smoother and lower noise spectrum to filter and lends for C102,202,302 MKT 4.7uF-10uF. 10uF filters better. Electrolytic 220uF is even more efficient a filter for sensitive digital and MC phono stages"

Given my situation - an I/V stage drawing a fairly constant 180mA per rail - at C101/C102 should I use 10uF/50V MKT or 220uF/50V electrolytic?

You are welcome to Barcelona you will not be upset with the visit and surely come back again.

With my Legato I/V I use 10uF 200V Auricap MKP and sounds wonderful;)

Enjoy
Felipe

Last edited: