• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

SSE Build Thread

Amplifier completed

Looks and sounds great

IMG_20220910_152443330.NIGHT~2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Bit of a story to that.

You would be correct but....

I had a choice of either 220 or 230v primary to a single 360-0-360v. Here we are actually a touch above 240v at the socket (I measured it). So in the end I picked the 220v primary which combined with my higher mains voltage boosts the output to more like 395-0-395 from the transformer.

Ok, makes sense. Here, our mains are supposedly rated at 230v, but 240-250v is very common in the evenings. I messed up the mains trafo on two builds before getting a servo stabilizer. Have had no problems since then.

Even the trafo in the "Elekit 8200" build got super hot during those 'swinging' days :D

We often have 250 to 254 volts (127-0-127) here on days like today when neither heat or air conditioning are running. The pole transformer that feeds 9 houses in in my yard, so we are the closest house to the transformer. It makes the 2004 vintage Hammond made Allied 6K7VG transformer with a 117 volt primary get too hot to touch after a few hours of continuous use, but it has run fine for over 15 years.

Today I retrofitted a cathode feedback switch.

I don't really hear much difference with it off (previously had it hardwired on permanently)

This is in triode more, which has now become my preferred listening since yesterday :) when I added a switch for it.

Is there anything in particular I should be listening for / hearing?

Cheers

My build has a 47uF first cap and 50R thermistor on the B+ center tap. The mains transformer secondary is 75R. I've tried 5V4G (Brimar brown base) and 5U4GB (N.E.C & Radiotron). They both work fine.

I see a 'tineee' delay on start-up, when compared to a GZ34 which takes ~ 8-10 secs to ramp up.

Will SSE handle 5U4 or 5Y3? I have some in my stash.

Also, looking at rectifiers for the SS and switch, there are $2 and $3 standard and $12 and even $18 silicon carbide? Any reason to go up market?

112-VS-E5TX0812-M3-ND

641-1933-ND
Choice of rectifier tube will affect the b+ voltage. They all loose (or drop) some voltage. Ideally you want the lowest possible voltage drop. That said provided they are octal socketed and support your line AC voltage any will work.

You want good quality fast switching diodes.

Will SSE handle 5U4 or 5Y3? I have some in my stash.

Also, looking at rectifiers for the SS and switch, there are $2 and $3 standard and $12 and even $18 silicon carbide? Any reason to go up market?

112-VS-E5TX0812-M3-ND

641-1933-ND
The 5U4 will work but provide slightly less B+ voltage. A 5Y3 will be running over its spec for most tube choices except the 6V6GT. Some may work, but some will spark out on startup.

I have been using the DSA-1-18D diodes primarily because they survived the lightning induced line voltage spikes in Florida, but they are not in stock at the usual places now.

My problem SSE has been up and running for a couple of weeks. All it took was a new power transformer, the original from my first build almost 20 years ago, an Allied, quit. The center tap wasn't center tapping.
SSE Hot (2).jpg
sse done.jpg

I've been snakebit these past few months, first one of my mono blocks failed which is why I built this new SE. Then, during the build, one of my 15 year old 4Pi Pros had it's JBL 2226 woofer blow. It's 16 Ohm and no one has a recone kit. I thought about a new pair of 2226H 8 Ohm, but the rather costly crossover parts are for 16. and a pair would be $1,000 plus new parts.

So I ordered a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.4s which arrived today. They sound great and the SSE has no problems even on large orchestral. I had been somewhat dissatisfied with the Gold Lion KT66 I included in the build sounding a little too romantic in the mids for my taste. That carried over into the Diamonds so I pulled a pair of GL KT 88s which sound great in the monos and that made the SSE/Diamond combo just right.
diamond.jpg

They're too high up perched on the sand boxes I had the Pi's sitting on which I'll fix as soon as I get some help to move them onto the spiked outriggers they came with. It was all 75 year old me could do to slide them onto the sand boxes and get them upright ;-)

Reactions: 1 user