• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SS 2905/9300 pair on eBay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you have direct experience comparing 9500 vs 9700/9900?
I ask becuase I have a pair of Living Voice Avatars using 9500 and I'm quite taken how well those speakers perform in small room. An expensive speaker using quite mundane parts (vifa stamped basket 6.5 " doped paper cone drivers and SS 9500 with air core inductors and hovland caps in crossovers) which actually perform up to it's price point with lovely tonality and musicality. I know their upper models employ upgraded 9700/9900 tweeters and wonder if upgrade would make any sense via cost involved

I have compared the 9500's to the 9700's. The 9700's are in a pair of custom designed MTMs with the 8545K's and the 9500's in some two ways with the venerable Vifa p17. They sound quite different in the systems but I thinkit is more of a resultof the system and not the tweeter. I did some swapping of the tweeters between the two systems without any XO modifications just for kicks and surprisingly there was not a tremendous amount of difference...i would say the 9700's are a little darker and more laid back than the 9500's but take that in the context of what I did...swapped tweeters without changing the XO...no measurements were taken.

Although the MTMs have tons more bass I tend to prefer the Vifa/9500 combo more, in a way the bass seems almost too much at times and the MTMs are more laid back.

My all time favorite speaker, beleive it or not, is a two way with the Vifa p17 and Morel MDT33...but thats another story altogether....

Ed,
That would make sense as to why the 9700's sound a bit more laid back and dark to me...i have high frequency hearing loss from indiscriminate gun shooting without ear protection most of my life...the 9500 has more of a response in my better hearing area than the 9700. I was aware the two were not directly interchangable but who could resist trying a swap when the drivers easily fit each cabinet....

Just curious if anyone has tried the Goldwood 3" paper cone tweeter sold at madisound for around $5....i have a friend who swears this cheap paper cone tweeter will out perform anything SS makes! I find it difficult but not impossible to believe...thinking of buying a pair just to test his claim out.

I believe it is Goldwood that makes it...i will have to double check....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.