Squire brand Bass drivers? Australia

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Asking because I have misplaced my Woofer tester. I cleaned off my desk and my wife put it away somewwhere.
I bought it second hand locally and only paid $50- so I am not too fussed.
15" and quite a large magnet, pressed paper cone and a double roll rubber surround
But searching I can't find any information and running it out of the box it sounds a bit bright for a bass driver
Any ideas while I search for the little black box?

Think it would come from the Squier
PA speaker series. Or SQ series...?
1702684761893.png

1702684952198.png
1702684975232.png

2way with Horn

I would only guess reasonable Qts
for a live sound.
Wouldnt be very high Qts like a
open back guitar combo.

Assume 45 to 50Hz Fs
and typical 3 to 4 mm linear travel
2.5" voice coil.

wild guess , Typical application
80 to 100 liters
tuned 45 to 50 Hz

if for " Hi Fi " and wanted it closer
to .707 Qtc.
Be the usual larger 110 to 125 liters.

Reactions: 1 user
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Looks like I've bought a dud driver
I just opened Audacity and tried to play a 30Hz sinewave though it and just got a buzz
I think the voice coil is frozen in place
I'll contact the seller and try and get my $50- back
Unless people think it's worth trying to have repaired

Attachments

• IMG_2836.JPG
    IMG_2836.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2839.JPG
    IMG_2839.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2840.JPG
    IMG_2840.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2841.JPG
    IMG_2841.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 65
Well picture tells much more.

Pretty heavy duty cast frame
large magnet speaker.

Definitely not the SQ stamp steel
frame I was expecting.

If it feels locked up.
Usual overheated voice coil.

Would need new coil.
Either would need new soft parts as well.
Or someone that can recone / save soft parts
when just the coil is damaged.

If the magnet has shifted there may not be any reconing it. I’ve only managed to salvage two drivers that had magnets shift - and both of them had very loose tolerances and big air gaps. I managed to shim the coil with index cards (like when you are reconing) and put a bead of epoxy around the magnet and pole piece on the outside. They wouldn’t stand being dropped again that’s for sure. If the magnet is very strong (this one looks like it) or if the gap is tiny (a good driver would be) then getting shims in there will be damn near impossible.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I'd been trying to contact my usual speaker repairer.
Late yesterday I discovered in another forum that Atilla Tanka passed away over a year ago. This is what happens when you move and don't keep up with people on a regular basis.
So I guess I now have to decide whether to take the loss and chuck the frame or try and find another expert repairer and get a quote.
I wouldn't bother if this was a pressed frame and a small magnet but this looks like it should actually be a decent driver if it was working
Any recommendations for Melbourne Australia?

Man, I just watched the ORIGINAL Mad Max for the umpteen millionth time a couple of days ago. My favorite movie of all time. I watch it whenever I see the title come across my tv screen. I was just telling my wife yesterday, what great engineering marvels come out of Australia and New Zealand. I use to have an audio repair shop close by my home that repaired some car audio amplifiers for me in the 90's. I need some classic car amps repaired today!