• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Squeezebox Touch PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is no open source thing as it is my device and I am not asking for ideas. The only way to check and know how it performs at this stage is when you tell me you want to be a beta tester. Not just talk but real soldering and measuring! You are then free to post whatever you conclude from your own eyeballs/brains/measurements. That would be way less tiring than commenting to and fro as it already costs too much time.

Ready for the challenge ? Then send me a PM. Please tell me you have a Touch as I can't and don't want to send you one :)

Sure! I have two Touches. Guess I should dust off the good old spectrum analyzer...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, regarding noise the original PSU for V3 is somewhat quieter which should not be a surprise looking at maximum possible current of the SBT PSU. I can not verify results of SBT PSU with a V3 DAC as I can not test myself silly as that may sound. I have full digital gear and can not use my V3 anymore (still have 6 V3 DACs, you never know when you go back to analog amplification ;))

Will let you all know when I know more.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Got an update today from a member that likes this PSU better than the original one when used with Subbu V3. This was unexpected to be honest. Can not verify as I have a digital only setup so I can not even use my own V3 versions right now. Personally I will use this PSU only with Squeezebox Touch devices etc.

I will await some more results but it seems a simple good performing design (as intended ;)).

Here is the schematics of regulated PSU for SB Touch which was suggested on local audio forum which I moderate. Several members have built it and have reported improvements in sound. There have also been individual takes on this schematic, such as replacing the C3 with lower value in 10uF range or locating the C3 inside SB.

Attachments

• post-8784-0-00520000-1394883202.jpg
    post-8784-0-00520000-1394883202.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,147
Thanks to share,

I didn't like this oem reg chip on my PS SB Duet (9V not 5V like the Touch)

Why not a 47 uH or 100 uH smd common chocke instead the 0R47 ?

This reg chip sounds better with some 100 to 470 uf HIGH (bad) ESR on its output and even better if the cap is old (bader impedance due to the ageing !)

my 2 cents, but sharing is much appreciated, thanks again.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it myself. I use a different DAC and PSU, whatsoever. This was just a suggestion which seemed to offer a good cost+performance vs. SB ratio, i.e. it is not more expensive than the SB itself and it has received some positive feedback. It surely can be made better but here is a schematic and a good no-brainer solution.

Hi Jean-Paul,
Thanks for sharing your achievements so far with designing a good diy SB Touch psu.

I'm very interested in your project, I'm using the Touch daily, but still with the original SMPS. Your design goals are just what I need, I hope your project is going well.

What is the current status? What are your plans, are you planning a group buy? Please, keep us posted.

Regards
Nino

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As it seems diyaudio.com wants me to be a vendor so I think a GB is out of the question. My initial thoughts were to sell the PCB with the Rcore. I have stocked the Rcore already. The Rcore transformer is the icing on the cake as it makes no noise/humm, is small en has a small strayfield.

I built 5 of these supplies with some differences and I am still testing them but I lack the time because of work. It performs very good, one tester thinks it is better than the PSU we made of the Subbu V3.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It performs very good, one tester thinks it is better than the PSU we made of the Subbu V3.

I think that I am the tester that JP mentioned. I got one of the boards just before the holiday and put the power supply together for a quick test. As one would expect from JP and Subbu, the design is nicely done with an elegant simplicity and the boards are very well made. It was a simple project to put together. I didn't have a big enough transformer on hand to test the full current capability of the board (5v 3A), so I used a smaller transformer that would support 5v and 1A. I tried this out on my Subbu V3 DAC and found it to sound very good. It was a lot better than the standard Subbu 5v PS based on the LM723 and even a small step up from my homebrew PS based on the LT1764. So I consider it an unqualified success. Attached is a picture.
---Gary

Attachments

• SBT_ps.jpg
    SBT_ps.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 5v.jpg
    5v.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,066
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi Gary, nice build. I was indeed pointing at your results. You do need a SK129 heatsink :)

While I thought the LM723 PSU already was quite good, it is surprising and nice to know that the SBT PSU performs better. Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.