Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

OK, I am sorry if I am being obtuse :eek: but are you saying that a) the jive mod is one which is being directly affected by the firmware upgrade or b) that it is referenced specifically in 1.9. If its the latter I can't see it :bawling:

1.9 Firmware Upgrades

It'll be almost impossible to cover all firmware upgrade scenarios. I don't want
to talk about catching up with nightly builds updates asf.
Upgrading your device might leave the installed toolbox in an inconsistent status.
Tracking potential problems down arising from those upgrades I consider almost impossible.

My recommendation is following:

a. avoid automatic updates to avoid surprises (you can run those manually once in a while - the upgrade cycle is pretty slow anyhow.)
1. Open the server-setting-menu/advanced/software updates
2. Select don't check for updates
3. Apply
b. In case you really want to upgrade - do it - but run a factory reset first,
run the upgrade and reinstall the Toolbox.
Installing the toolbox the 2nd time will you take less then 10 minutes.

c. If you still experience problems let me know.

OK, I am sorry if I am being obtuse :eek: but are you saying that a) the jive mod is one which is being directly affected by the firmware upgrade or b) that it is referenced specifically in 1.9. If its the latter I can't see it :bawling:

1.9 Firmware Upgrades

It'll be almost impossible to cover all firmware upgrade scenarios. I don't want
to talk about catching up with nightly builds updates asf.
Upgrading your device might leave the installed toolbox in an inconsistent status.
Tracking potential problems down arising from those upgrades I consider almost impossible.

My recommendation is following:

a. avoid automatic updates to avoid surprises (you can run those manually once in a while - the upgrade cycle is pretty slow anyhow.)
1. Open the server-setting-menu/advanced/software updates
2. Select don't check for updates
3. Apply
b. In case you really want to upgrade - do it - but run a factory reset first,
run the upgrade and reinstall the Toolbox.
Installing the toolbox the 2nd time will you take less then 10 minutes.

c. If you still experience problems let me know.

What I'm saying is - follow those instructions !!

I wouldn't have to spent time on problems which shouldn't exist if you'd followed those instructions. ;)

Cheers

atchi123,

after upgrading to 7.5.3, you cannot simply copy the mod2 file, unpack, initialize, etc. You need to run a factory reset first (this can be done at the back of the unit or through advanced settings on the Touch), then copy, unpack, init, etc. (see section 1.2.1).

If you do the reset first, then the full installation again, all will be well. :)

As I learned first-hand :eek:, all of this is in the manual.

It seems that when you run ttinit, the watchdog, Jive2 and Kernel mods are installed. Don't stop there. Try the buffer, output, wlan and screen mods too. Of course, these can be tried one at a time.

I just got a touch with Firmware: 7.5.3-r9283
I can't find the SSH enable under the Advance Networking tab.
Did the move it or REmove it?
WinSCP connection is refused.
Is there a way to use the CLI?
Thanks

the upgrade doesn't change the SSH enable. Go to Settings, Advanced, then scorll down to the bottom. Remote login is the fourth from the bottom. Choose it once. Then use the back arrow key.

The WinSCP connection is refused if the SSH is not enabled.

Hi guys.

Update:

We have been discussing and analysing the network impact recently.
I've been in touch with inmate TBM about it.

What we have done so far , as you know, we had looked at the router, cable and hub. What was left was the server.

By accident I found out that TBM is running Vista. (I always thought he'd be a Linux guy ;) ) Anyhow. I had prepared some new server mods and wanted him to test them.
Today he came back on the subject: "Linux sucks" ( he used more polite words though ;) ) He had done some tests over the weekend.

I thought that can't be true.

I didn't take long for me to set my W7 properly up.

Then I did the comparision by myself.

Conclusion: TBM is right. As a matter of fact the W7 based server sounds more coherent then the Linux server.
The difference is that obvious that I have a hard time to switch back to Linux. Hmmh.

I did already quite some Linux tests ( kernel 2.6.38, recovery mode minimum impact setup etc.) to get the difference out of the way. Nothing so far what brought me to the level of W7.

If there are othe people with dual boot setups over here. Give it a try. Make sure that the setup is identical.
The same could be done for OSX and W7 dual boot systems.

Would be nice to figure out the reasons for the difference.

All this seems to become a never ending story again.

Cheers

Last edited:
Different OS

Hi Klaus

I have two PC's. One runing Win7 and the other Mint10.
When I via my SBT connect to the WIN7 it require a sw upgrade and it is ver, 7.5.3 R9283!
When I via my SBT connect to the MINT10 it require a sw upgrade??? and it is ver, 7.5.1 R9218!

Could the different in SQ, you are experience, be related to the SBT SW?:confused:

regards Bjarne

Sorry, sorry I just found out that my MINT10 server was runing 7.5.2:R31632:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
Folks.

Good news.

I figured out a workaround for our little big networking problem on Linux based server systems. TBM confirmed last night that the difference between W7
and Linux with the new mod in place is difficult to differentiate.
That's what I figured earlier too.

You'll find the solution soon on the TT Beta-Blog.

Leaves the question what to do with the OSX folks. ;)

Cheers

WLAN Access Point

Hello,

trying to be helpful with a quick report about the WLAN bridge that Klaus/Soundcheck has alluded to in his blog but did not have time to try as yet.

I am one of those who cannot possibly run an Ethernet line from server to SBT, so I was confined to WLAN. (Which did not, after all, sound bad at all with the Toolbox 2.0 mods applied!). Pretty much all the other mods are in place, including SBooster power supply, a good Oehlbach digital cable and so on.

My experiences:

* Initially, I just hook up a TP Link Access Point (150 MBitS), with a standard power supply and standard Ethernet cable. Sounds horrible. Edgier than just the SBT with WLAN on, noisy highs and all.

* Replace Ethernet cable with one of those higher-quality ones Klaus recommends in his blog (you can get them on Amazon), interrupting the shielding close to the SBT for about 2 inches. Not sure I can hear a difference with this mod alone.

* tt --wlan ... okay, things are clearer now, but the sound is now very edgy indeed

This is all not very encouraging.

Finally, the breakthrough.

I happen to have a defective SBooster which I am just about to return to meet its maker. (Their dealer was most helpful and uncomplicated about this.) This defective device was obviously delivered with a few wrong parts; it outputs 10V instead of 5V, do not ask me why; quite glad I found out in time. Anyway: I have now connected this to power my WLAN Access point. So the Access point is now powered with 10V linear power plus an SBooster filter behind it. (I obviously got the idea from Souncheck's setup and the fancy power scheme for his network switch.)

Know what? All the edge is gone. Sound is relaxed, warm even, with a very believable deep soundstage. Highs are beautifully resolved and not in my face anymore. I cannot compare this to Ethernet for the given reasons, but this is the best sound I ever got out of this box. I will keep experimenting; any hints and recommendations most welcome.

Out of here, have a great weekend,

Thomas

---

Setup: SBT --> Oehlbach Digital MkII --> Arcam rDAC --> Pursang Signature RCA --> Krell 300 iL --> Harmonic Technology speaker cable double-run --> NHT 2.9 speakers --> ears

Hi,

I would like to use "sox" to make some dsp (100Hz + 3dB) and maybe some kind of "apodizing" filter a la Meridian.

I am running sbs 7.3 on qnap-119 (Linux). I know, that i have to create my own custom-convert.conf. Anybody can post a working custom-convert.conf ?

I have only flacs and i want to decode on the server. Tried some custom-convert.conf from sb forum, but it was not working.