Square wave test on speakers - what does it tell ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's one from a DIY Synergy horn at 6ft:
squarewwave.jpg

(a bit of a cherry-picked particularly-nice shaped frequency, but the squarewaves still look reasonable out to 6kHz).

It changes little with moving microphone (since it's a constant directivity coaxial type speaker). I think the Quad 63 also behaves somewhat like a point source, though (but it would have dipole directivity).

Hi and thanks a lot ... very impressive.
But sorry ... they have told me that this is meaningless ... ;):D
By the way, on a principle, the fact that what comes out resembles to what gets in is a really nice things
Which horn and driver ensemble are you referring at ?
I am sincerely interested
Thanks a lot and kind regards, gino :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi well champion maybe only on this specific issue.
It is the Quad esl 63
And there is only the test with a 1kHz SW.
Still it looks very good to me for a speaker.
As i said i listened extensively to these speakers because a friend owns a pair.
No real bass, limited max ouptut.
Someone call them the big headphones ... :rolleyes:
I do not like at all their width ... in general i do not like panels
But the realism of some effects was completely unbelievable.
Like the crash of a glass ... never heard something more real really.
I do not know if this can be related to their behaviour in the SW response test
Thanks and regards, gino

I'm satisfied that you at least got to hear for yourself a pair of decent electrostatics once in your life. In the heat of the moment during such an ear-opening listening experience, one might say some crazy things (such as "But the realism of some effects was completely unbelievable"). But you are absolutely right to dislike those big dangerous power-sucking bass-free amplifier-destroyers. Best to stick with paper cones for now at least....

I'm satisfied that you at least got to hear for yourself a pair of decent electrostatics once in your life.
In the heat of the moment during such an ear-opening listening experience, one might say some crazy things (such as "But the realism of some effects was completely unbelievable"). But you are absolutely right to dislike those big dangerous power-sucking bass-free amplifier-destroyers. Best to stick with paper cones for now at least....

Hi and thanks for the advice.
I read an article about special effects for movies.
They are recorded with extreme accuracy and it shows during movies.
If and i stress if the aim of a system is to reproduce sounds with an high level of realism/accuracy in my mind these effects can constitute a very valid tool to assess the overall quality of a system.
You put in the cd/br player one of this effect disks and listen, maybe even blindfolded.
If the realism is very high then you have a damn good system indeed.

In the meantime i have found in Stereophile magazine the point of view of a very well regarded speakers designer

Dunlavy Audio Laboratories SC-IV loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

" DAL firmly believes that a full set of credible measurements, made by qualified engineering staff using state-of-the-art equipment and facilities, can reliably predict the potential of a loudspeaker to accurately reproduce the complex sounds of music."— Dunlavy Audio Labs

Let's say that i am a convinced Dunlavyst ... i am sure that measurements tell a lot about a speaker behaviour.

Thanks again, gino

Hi ... and what about this as testing signal for drivers/loudspeakers instead ?
Sawtooth.gif

With all the good willing i cannot accept the idea of testing a speaker/driver by ear ... just i cannot accept it.
Not to talk about the "voicing" process with final adjustment of speakers and x-overs made by ear ... let's be serious.
This is the last one ... i promise.
Regards, gino

I'm satisfied that you at least got to hear for yourself a pair of decent electrostatics once in your life. In the heat of the moment during such an ear-opening listening experience, one might say some crazy things (such as "But the realism of some effects was completely unbelievable")

Hi and very sorry for the late reply
By the way i swear that the sound effects were so well played back that listening blindfolded i would have been fooled to hear the real thing.
Seriously i am not joking.
And all this with a extremely cheap Samsung dvd player+ a vintage Revox B150 amp and normal cables.

This tells me that speakers make the most of the result ... they are the most vital element of the audio chain.

But you are absolutely right to dislike those big dangerous power-sucking bass-free amplifier-destroyers.
Best to stick with paper cones for now at least....

I would be interested to know your choice of speakers
I agree with paper cones ... plastic ones are not stiff enough, i guess
Thanks again. Regards, gino

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.