Square Law Class A Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more simulation

How to to thermally stabilize this combination of lateral and vertical MOSFET output transistors?
dado

In private correspondence with Ian, he explained the following:

"On the prototype using two MOSFETs for T1,2 the article mentioned it helps to spread the heat better over the heatsink and also reduces the thermal washer temp drop so you can use a slightly smaller heatsink with that simple tip. It is not so useful on Class-AB, only Class-A where huge heat output is expensive and bulky to get away."

I added an opamp to the input stage, and lowered the DC offset. Simulation gives me the following performance:

THD @ 1kHz = 0.0028%
THD @ 20kHz = 0.022%

Not too bad for 50W Class-A?

Attachments

• sq_a_v1.png
    sq_a_v1.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 393
  • SQ_A_FFT_1kHz.png
    SQ_A_FFT_1kHz.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 388
  • SQ_A_FFT_20kHz.png
    SQ_A_FFT_20kHz.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 363
  • sq_a_v1.0.asc
    14.2 KB · Views: 75
Bias & Input PCB

I've made my first attempt at creating a PCB for the input stage and bias circuit for Ian's Square Law Class A, as featured in Linear Audio Volume 1.

My plan is to create separate PCBs for the bias and output stages. The idea is that this will give more flexibility in mounting the output transistors to the required heatsink. This is basically the same approach that Ian took in the above mentioned article.

Attached are schematics for the entire circuit and also the input/bias module by itself. Attached are screen shots from Kicad showing the PCB for the input/bias. I will continue work on the output stage PCB.

Comments and helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• sq_a_1.0.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 127
  • sq_a_bias_1.0.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 90
  • sq_a_bias_pcb_1.0.png
    sq_a_bias_pcb_1.0.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 321
  • sq_a_bias_3d_1.0.png
    sq_a_bias_3d_1.0.png
    43.7 KB · Views: 313
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.