• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spud, Schade, PP, Anti-triode ECL86

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have found an IXYS 100V, 100mA, 25W depletion MOSFET at 0,67EUR each. Think I will have to order a bag, as these also have a lot lower Ciss than the Supertex.

900V? 10M90? I'd be interested to see if distortion changes at all vs the DN2540 in the Schaded configuration. Based on published curves, the devices gfs vs Id curves are somewhat different FWIW

For the original servo setup that oscillated, there were two cascadeded low pass filters, each setting a pole in the servo frequency response. One of them needs to be set at least 10X lower in freq. so as to act as a dominant pole to avoid oscillation.

Arrow has the IXTP01N100D listed, last time I checked.

Don

For the original servo setup that oscillated, there were two cascadeded low pass filters, each setting a pole in the servo frequency response. One of them needs to be set at least 10X lower in freq. so as to act as a dominant pole to avoid oscillation.

Don

Don, I was changing the antritriode's time constant (higher) when the circuit went bang. I am not confident that the servo transistors' pole could be set so low without resorting to FETs - which I was avoiding for accuracy reasons, and the need for even higher voltage margin between the current sense and the tail supply.

I began thinking that the CCS could be fed from a doubler out of the mains trafo, zener regulated, and use a darlington servo with very low pole to filter the signal out. But the parts count of that solution brought me around to the simplified circuit.

I have found an IXYS 100V, 100mA, 25W depletion MOSFET at 0,67EUR each. Think I will have to order a bag, as these also have a lot lower Ciss than the Supertex.

Lars, I may have to try some for that price!

Not sure about using it for antitriode, though. Won't it be full-ON when the B+ is applied? Make sure your CCS FET is a 600V part!

I like the DN2540 for specifying a max limit on temperature stability of threshold voltage, useful for our dc balance error budget.

For antitriode duty, I recommend the ST-microelectronic STP5NK90Z in this position: 900V 125W handling and low price.

Actually, the circuit shown above will withstand 600V on the CCS, and if you bolt the FET down to a big piece of chassis metal, you should get away with putting in a short-circuited output valve without blowing the fuse! Use a gate zener if your FET is not the protected type.

At such small Idss and such large Vgs(off) is not very suited for use in a ccs.

Edit: but of course you weren't to use it in a ccs, so, never mind :ashamed:

Vgs(off) is -2.5 min, -5V max. I haven't hooked one up on the bench yet, but from the spec it's in the ballpark of a 10M45 (which is listed as "Vg"= -5V min and operates at -2.5 or so at lower currents).

High Vgs(off) is IMO a great attribute for CCS use because it provides for higher Vds on the bottom device in a simple cascode connection (less capacitance, higher current potential).

It's the low capacitance that makes me most happy :spin: looks to me like an excellent part for cascode anode loads on driver tubes. The capacitance is about as good as the FQP150/160 parts.

My biggest wish is for IXYS to provide comprehensive device data. Supertex (IR, Hitachi, etc) all provide lengthy data sheets but IXYS information content is scant indeed. Maybe you need to have a "relationship" with them to get the test data.

Michael

Hey jkeny,
Will you build with ECL86? If going EL84, another driver is better. Have a great solution for that one, tried by another member of this community.

I will be building with ECL86 currently in Baby Huey config which I'll be retaining so should be able to transfer the tubes between this anti-triode & the BH. Now, one question - the output stage imbalance is <1mA IIRC so it should be suitable for a toroid o/p transformer - any other considerations that might prevent this?

I'll have to bend Shoog's ear to suggest a suitable PS toroid to use.

The Telemas at about 80VA are great at the job. They are available from Farnell and RS spares.
I am currently working up to version two of the DC7 and will be ordering some for myself. I will also be using some 125V adjustable voltage regulators for the cathode CCS which are available from RS spares.

Shoog

Yes its Radionics. I don't find their prices excessive on things like transformers, if you can get it up to a certain level then postage is free.
You have to work back from the impedance you need to get the voltage.

(primary voltage/secondary voltage)^2*speaker impedance=primary impedance

So lets assume an 8ohm speaker

A 12V:115+115V will give you

(230/12)^2=367
367*8=2K9

So assuming you need an 8K lets try again

A 9V:115+115V will give

(230/9)^2*8=5K2

A 7V:115+115V will give

(230/7)^2*8=8k6

Which is near enough.

Shoog

Hey Shoog,

You are not completely correct about the impedances. The formulas are right though.

You have to use the secondary voltage with NO load to calculate.

So when using a 30W 115+115 : 6+6V the secondary is 6,8V unloaded and the value used for calculations(9,2k).

I´d say a 7V is to high for the ECL86 if we assume 7V means more in reality. It is very easy to unwind the secondaries though, and I have done it quite a few times.

We used the 30W Nuvotem to the SEPTOR and it works great. So anything from 30-80VA will surely work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.