Spruce wood for cabinet??

FWIW, I had to replace a section of countertop in my kitchen last year, so I took my wife to the local hardwood store to look at the bamboo countertop slabs they had in stock. They happily opened up a bunch of them, and every single one had checking and splitting that made them unusable. I'm not sold on the long term stability of those bamboo products. With the price of Baltic Birch going through the roof, I don't know what I'd use for a box anymore.

Bill
Stockton, CA
That's true...while the Bamboo used might be the same, the glue used and the process of laminating the materials may be very different......i should have really made it clear that my board.....wherever it came from was done properly...likely using phenolics and high pressure and dry/stable substrate

It sits out side all year and gets the hose and a scrub brush for cleaning.....it's occasionally passed through the dishwasher too. Folks rave about the Cali Bamboo brand.........just sayin......mine came from Ikea! lol

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you know how to work with solid wood it should work fine.

It is a softwood, but that, from my experience, is not an issue. These are Douglas Fir (a pine, Spruce & Doug Fir [a pine] are interchangeable (in the construction business anyway).

Mmm, good Douglas fir is quite different from spruce. For I'd use for cabinets, spruce I would not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where can I get Marine Grade 1 and 1/18th MAHOGANY plywood?
Why ask here, at a mainly US, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. based international Forum, thousands of kilometers/miles away from Hong Kong?

Supposing we suggest some favorite suppliers... do you intend to have plywood planks delivered by FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc?.

Doesn't it make way more sense (or any sense at all) to shop locally?
Aren't you the person most apt to find some local wood supplier?

This whole thread (and similar ones about bamboo "plywood" 🙄, etc.) makes no sense at all.
jm2c

Reactions: 1 user
Why ask here, at a mainly US, Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. based international Forum, thousands of kilometers/miles away from Hong Kong?

Supposing we suggest some favorite suppliers... do you intend to have plywood planks delivered by FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc?.

Doesn't it make way more sense (or any sense at all) to shop locally?
Aren't you the person most apt to find some local wood supplier?

This whole thread (and similar ones about bamboo "plywood" 🙄, etc.) makes no sense at all.
jm2c
Tru shipping charge is an issue
BTW, what is marine grade 1? What is 1/18th?

These are Douglas Fir (a pine, Spruce & Doug Fir [a pine] are interchangeable (in the construction business anyway).
S-P-F designation In certain applications is interchangeable, but not all. For example finger joint studs, yes. Floor joists no.
Pine is too knotty and tough to grade accurately.
Spruce, while surprisingly strong, is too bouncy.
Hemlock and Fir are the choices. Hem-Fir is a designation for just that.
S-P-F will be mostly Pine and Spruce
Hem-Fir will be mostly Hemlock
At least around here.
Where's our resident forester SCD when you need him?

Marine ply above 3/4" - 18mm is available but not as common. Panels can be glued to produce thicker sheets but requires some thought regarding clamping. Vacuum bagging would be my preference. Plenty of panels have been glued up with nothing more than weights set on top but a metric ton placed on a 4'x4' glue up yields less than a pound per square inch of pressure. Thin, well spread glue is a must as a puddle in the middle of the panel will not spread evenly and ooze out. I know this from experience.
@Cal Weldon good quality DF is my hands down favorite for framing. Helped frame a 2 story shop with true 2x4/6/8, air dried, old growth (boat wood) lumber milled on site. All hand spiked due to the increased dimensions. Beautiful...

I think the key is laying a nice thin, even glue layer and then using cauls and clamps, tightening from the center outward if you don't have vacuum. I never had a panel fail but became aware of the problem when the panel wasn't flat.. I had used 640lbs on a ~ 40"x 36" and thought it was PLENTY