Split supplies using off-the-shelf switchers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nuuk said:
No,no and again no! They are not that big uncle C! :whazzat:

They are certainly bigger that a toriod and a couple of caps, no?
I have some very small switching PSUs, but they are too weak.
The good ones I have are "normal" size, and using 4 of them would almost take the full size of a standard amplifier chassis.
If your PSUs have at least around 5A on the +12V PSU, that's ok.

Nuuk said:
And they run quite cool too so I can't see the need for fans.

They run cool with the fans.
Disconnect then and see if the PSUs get hot.
If they do, you can feed the fans with 7~8v, which will make them turn slower and much more silent.

Nuuk said:
Now I worry about your speakers and their appetite for power! :D :D :D

Less sensitive speakers are also usually more linear, so there's advantages and disadvantages as in everything.

I have now tested the +/-24v version and it works beautifully.

First thing to say is that there is a distinct difference in the sonic signature of the amp running at +/-12 volts and +/-24 volts! At 12, the sound is somehow more delicate and intimate, at 24 it's slightly darker and less 'airy'. And of course, both show strengths with different types of music. Bass quality with either voltage is simply fantastic!

So, to sum up so far. Using these SMPS I get the best sound quality that I have had from the Gainclones by a clear margin. Everything is improved. To be fair, I have yet to try the snuberized regulated PSU but if it is nearly as good as what I am hearing now, I will be very impressed!

Carlos alluded to the size of using four of these units and possible heat problems. Well four side-by-side measure just 360mm by 150mm and 40mm high (14 inches by 6 inches by 1 1/2 inches high). They don't get hot and the LM3875's don't get anywhere near hot even at high volume levels.

You could put four across the front of a common amp housing and still have over six inches by the width of the amp for the GC circuit. I could even get a buffer circuit, volume control and selector switch in there as well!

And I guess that I could use the 5 volt outputs in series to get a 20 volt supply for a buffer!

Now all I have to decide on is 12 volts or 24! :)

Hi Carlos, I didn't notice your post when writing my previous one.

There are no fans with these SMPS and no need for them - they just don't get hot.

The 12 volt outputs are rated a 6 amps.

Less sensitive speakers are also usually more linear, so there's advantages and disadvantages as in everything.

Yes, as ever, it's swings and roundabouts! Probably what makes it all so interesting (if frustrating at times). ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.