• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Spelling, capitalization, and grammar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another reason for the "intentionally left blank" can be an uneven number of pages in a cheap stapled manual where the first page and last page are on the same sheet, etc.

I think a "Notes" page conveys the same message as well without being contradictory.

In context though, it's usually obvious when a page is missing, as opposed to just left blank.

-Nick

Well ......

Not sooo crazy. It (page left blank) made some sense in reports of military nature, where it often was not immediately clear from text (especially itemised summaries) that a page was not inadvertently left out. This was a general instruction in order to preserve - er - well - order. And perhaps the general did not want to break his head/brain (sic) wondering about the state of affairs.

Also, this was sometimes done in catalogues when subsequent updates could thus be easily incorporated into existing format - but in those cases I usually found "Page reserved for future updates". Rather more sense in that.

One wonders about the opposite. Would that be "Page unintentionally filled with print/text"? Makes one think of the necessity of some published matter - but that is another subject.....:smash:

soundbrigade said:
I remember seeing application reports from Linear Technology written by Jim Williams, where he draws a crazy sketch with some animalistic ICs doing tricks on a last page and a text "THEY SAID I COULDN'T LEAVE THIS PAGE BLANK".
Can't find that one, but here is my favorite from "last-page comedian" Jim Williams:
AN98 - Signal Sources, Conditioners and Power Circuitry Circuits of the Fall, 2004
Reminds me somehow of my flatmate who likes to ask me, "do you feel sick?" -- "no, I'm just thinking about amplifiers"...

Regards, Klaus

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
jnb said:

The default install is US English so unless you install it yourself....
you may find yourself thinking of sleep when you put tyres on your car :D

EC8010 said:

Sounds good to me. Seriously, even when told about UK English, M$ Word keeps on offering apostrophes when faced with the plural of a word it hasn't seen before. I think the whole apostrophe fiasco can be laid firmly at their door.A

Bill Gates is the Antichrist (It wasn’t really Nietzsche after all).

Irrefutable proof:
http://egomania.nu/gates.html

See? Explains everything.

Cheers,
Glen

Write Professionally

Our World Wide patent writing tools enable simple sentences to become more sophisticated and professional.

The quotation is the first line of a spam e-mail I just received, with the subject line "Improves english writing with this software" - from somebody named, apparently, "Write Professionally".

Even if we grant that the tools are restricted to the writing of patents, the sentence doesn't really fill me with confidence in their capabilities. But I'd be happy to forward the link to anyone who wants it. :D

Regards.

Aengus

[edited: I initially read it too hastily and hadn't noted the subject line correctly]

What you say is somewhat true, and I agree entirely with its intent. However, there is some "professional" writing (e.g., post-modernist professors) which is hopelessly obscure, apparently as a matter of policy; and I think that "sophisticated" writing which is unclear and long-winded comes from would-be sophisticates.

That having been said, long-windedness is certainly in the eye of the beholder; some people find Henry James, Cormac McCarthy, or William Gaddis (to pick a few) long-winded - I myself do not.

Regards.

Aengus.

EC8010 said:
Try looking up "sophistry" in a dictionary...

OK, I did and from Webster's New World Dictionary it defines sophistry as:

"n. misleading but clever reasoning"

However, sophisticated is defined as:

"adj. 1 not simple, naive, etc.; worldly wise or knowledgeable, subtle, etc. 2 for sophisticated people 3 highly complex or developed in form, technique, etc.

So I guess I'm not sure what your point is in pointing out that there are different meanings to words based on the same root word. The "History" of the word should tell you how it evolved and eventually came to mean something very different from it's origins. Just remember or review your Greek Philosophy (Oh no, there's that evil root word again!).
:D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.