spectro acustics 500sr recap questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my right channel started to fade out all the suddenly and is really quiet with some distortion volum has no affect.

has the fallowing big caps in it
blue 1500uf 85c 100vdc
grey 2000uf 95c 200vdc 10 + 50%
silver 5900uf 85c 95vdc

gdxo.jpg

a414z.jpg

wjwrr.jpg

Those pictures sure do bring back memories. Anyway those are the main filter capacitors, not sure why there are three of them, but they are common to both channels so if only one channel is acting up that isn't the problem. Are all the screws tight on the capacitors? Looks like previous crappy repair job.

Do you have a schematic? I drew one up at least 20 years ago, I could probably find it if needed.

Craig

no i dont have an schematics

it also had a bit of a hum on that chanel slightly louder then the left channel but only noticeable if i had no audio playing i dont think i have ever come across an amp that didnt hum though

on that note i gues ill take a meter to it and start looking for problems

Last edited:
i dunno but it seems to be working fine again after opening it up unpluging the moduals and and and going over them. im guna go pick up some contact cleaner from the source tomarrow and finish cleaning the dirt out of the chasis gues it just realy needs a cleaning still guna look into buying proper set of caps for it and fix the hackery in it

talked to bob from spectro didnt relize he had posted a manual for this a few posts befor i chimed in on a thread about the history of Spectro Acoustics the instructions he posted are actualy quite informative i think im guna keep this beast going for a long time to come.

the B channel scamp has had a couple resistors replaced on it along with some of the transistors

where were the rca 1b05's located?

Last edited:
What's the date code on the blue electrolytic? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a later add on when it first started humming years ago, suspect you can get rid of it when you get new filter caps

not seeing a date code on the blue cap just the fallowing
CDE +
WBR +
1500-100
1500 MFD
100 W.V.
LH 85C +

the grey one is

MEPCO/ELECTRA
I 582628
2000 UF - 10 + 50%
200 VDC 250 SURGE
85CMAX AMBIANT
362 8616 56699

silver one
FA0592G095CFIH
5900 MDF 95WVDC
460 8044

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.