Speakers Made by the "Response" Speaker Company are they any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Oh, and the Vifa D25AG in between. These sounded good. They had a resonance up top that made them sound like aluminium but I still enjoyed them.

Attachments

• vf.jpeg
    vf.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 122
Here is Wagner's site, they are distributors for a lot brands in Australia.

Speaker Drivers | Wagner Online Electronic Stores

SB Acoustics is very popular and have a large range.

Speakerbug have crossover components.

Inductors

Hope this helps to give you options.

Here is a little project to get started with.......I costed it out at around $520 a pair (including X'overs) for a friend. These are excellent drivers, crossover parts from Speakerbug.

SB Monitor SB15NBAC30-8 & SB26ADC-04 - iAMP - DIY way to build Your own amplifier

C.M

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've had a lot of those square Phillips tweeters from jaycar during my UNI years, Allen. They carried different ones at different times. The cloth ones were the best, some of the ones I got were mylar dome and I didn't like them as much (not that any of them were great). I kept blowing them at parties...

yep AD11600 were the most recent type that I bought just pulled it out to have a look. No longer in use, just the woofers (Vifa MW26-09-08's), in my old three ways. This one was probably purchased in the late 80's or early 90's I suspect.

Edit: I couldn't stand any of the speakers Jaycar had with those D25's they just sounded really tinny to me. Maybe it was implementation but it put me off metal tweeters.

Tony.

Attachments

• 2019-12-21 23.18.24.jpg
    2019-12-21 23.18.24.jpg
    940.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Why would these drivers be bad? Jaycar are idiots? In this day and age surely any drivers that were out of spec you could return. If you have access to measuring gear surely you could come up with something reasonable.
I would be thinking of the Peerless drivers to be sure of quality and value especially the new corrundum tweeters -poor tweeters can really hinder your musical enjoyment , you could combine these with the other Jaycar drivers maybe, that tweeter for the money is great and can take some power .Anyway Wagner online also has fabulous kits from Sb Acoustics and Peerless they could be worth a look

Why would these drivers be bad? Jaycar are idiots? In this day and age surely any drivers that were out of spec you could return. If you have access to measuring gear surely you could come up with something reasonable.
They are not bad or faulty, they just aren't anything to write home about. You get what you pay for. They are just cheap drivers made in asia being resold by Jaycar. I doubt they are a unique design. Quality control can be questionable and I wouldn't trust the published parameters - some of their published t/s parameters don't make sense, the drivers come in plain boxes with no accompanying data, so you're best off measuring them yourself. Unfortunately all the measurement and crossover design in the world won't make a mediocre performing driver sound like a well performing one.

I'd say the line of dustcapless woofers is a good buy as dedicated bass drivers because they perform well there. This is the beauty of cheap drivers - they can perform very well across a narrow band of frequencies. I wouldn't go making a 2-way with them because the nonlinear distortion will be obvious.

Jaycar lack a decent high sensitivity midrange driver (500-3khz) and I'm not hopeful of the capability of their full frame tweeters. I would bet that they lack a properly designed rear chamber so can't cross lower then 3khz or so without suffering distortion. Good full size tweeters can cross below 2khz, which avoids power response issues due to the centre to centre driver spacing. Having a full size tweeter which can't cross low defeats the purpose. It's 2019 and the world has moved on from monkey coffins that have awful power response and only deliver smooth response when listened to dead on axis from 5meters away. If you restrict yourself to Jaycars offerings you might well fall back into that mindset, or create a speaker where there are frequency bands where none of the drivers want to play cleanly.

Last edited:
Thank you, TMM, for your reply to my query. The news about the tweeter is particularly disturbing as consistency between channels in a stereo system is obviously imperative for imaging etc. The news about response irregularities in general if off-putting too.
Thank you, AllenB, for your information about the square Philips units that Jaycar used to sell . Interestingly, my friend mentioned that he had seen Digitech speaker drivers in the Palmerston North Jaycar store that looked very similar indeed to the Response models seen in the local branch, yet I can find no mention of the former on the Jaycar website, nor in its catalogue so I'm wondering if he is mistaken about that. As far as I'm concerned, the store only handles Response drivers now.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Jaycar has no where near the range of speakers they once did. Maybe have a look at element 14. The MCM dome tweeters ($24 - $27) don't look too bad.... I've never seen or heard one though. https://nz.element14.com/w/c/audio-.../prl/results?driver-type=tweeter&sort=P_PRICE

There used to be a guy in NZ importing various drivers but he shut up shop I think. Not sure what other options are available across the pond :)

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Allen, yes I did computing science, I did a couple of computer graphics electives. The avatar was generated using the program I wrote as an assignment to generate madlebrot sets. It was written on my Amiga 1000 in C. Not sure which generation of that program, I re-wrote it for speed with assembler and calls to a 68881 which I got with my phoenix board MB replacement (as generating madlebrots on a 7Mhz 68000 processor isn't exactly quick) ;) So Even my Avatar is DIY :p Computer graphics has come a LONG way since those days!!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.