Speakers, Lifestyle, & Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just curious as to how many factor aesthetic considerations into their loudspeaker projects?

Does WAF or your own desire to have something stylish factor into it at all?

If yes, please post a link to your project(s) if you have one and any comments as to what you folded into the design in this regard.

:)att'n: Only looking for builder's comments and not a design critique of their work.)

An interesting post. I read widely and know what is theoretically "best" for my satelite speakers but I an just not prepared to have them looking like that in my living area. The specific issue in question is straight verses curved sides. I undestand that smooth continuous curves such as a large egg shaped enclosure has real acoustic merit (when appropriately designed) but I know their presence will remind me of one of the "Aliens" movies or some other deep seated paranoid fear. So I am compromising by having straight sides that have various steps and multi-angled bevelled edges but no curves...........I know its irrational but this is one area of my life where I'll let aethetics thriumph over physical theory.
On reflection, I am sure it is the curves I have problems with. On thinking about it I don't like the current crop of "organic"car shapes either. I much prefer the more angluar designs of 20-30 years ago. (I might stress that these comments are restricted to inanimate objects. Curves in other situations are much more attractive than anorexic angles.)

Jonathan Bright said:
An interesting post. I read widely and know what is theoretically "best" for my satelite speakers but I an just not prepared to have them looking like that in my living area. The specific issue in question is straight verses curved sides. I undestand that smooth continuous curves such as a large egg shaped enclosure has real acoustic merit (when appropriately designed) but I know their presence will remind me of one of the "Aliens" movies or some other deep seated paranoid fear. So I am compromising by having straight sides that have various steps and multi-angled bevelled edges but no curves...........I know its irrational but this is one area of my life where I'll let aethetics thriumph over physical theory.
On reflection, I am sure it is the curves I have problems with. On thinking about it I don't like the current crop of "organic"car shapes either. I much prefer the more angluar designs of 20-30 years ago. (I might stress that these comments are restricted to inanimate objects. Curves in other situations are much more attractive than anorexic angles.)

Jonathan Bright, than you for your contribution. You touch on some key points above that are at the heart of my post. Do you follow function or say damnitall and build what looks the best to you? Or do you follow function and make the form as pleasing as possible within the rules?

speaker said:
Just curious as to how many factor aesthetic considerations into their loudspeaker projects?

Does WAF or your own desire to have something stylish factor into it at all?

If yes, please post a link to your project(s) if you have one and any comments as to what you folded into the design in this regard.

:)att'n: Only looking for builder's comments and not a design critique of their work.)

I place a large emphasis on aesthetics. Most of my projects are replicas of designs that have caught my eye. The only pre-fab boxes I have bought were Insignias, which I totally redesigned.

For me speaker building is like custom car building. Yes you want great performance but a 10 second Maverick just wouldn't do it for me. I'd rather have a 11 second Shelby replica.

Also the waf thing is important. I have had several sets of speakers in the living room all at once and she gave me very little grief about them Even showing them off to her friends.

Building a nice design also makes the project less of a drudge.

It's very pleasing to have what looks like the real thing in your home.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=246853

Art...

Building an enclosure with "artistic value" is really walking a tightrope.....recall the saying 'art is in the eye of the beholder'.
The upshot is your artistic creation may look like Venus de Milo to you , but may look far different to someone else!
Take a look at some Classis/Old speaker designs from our more promenent makers.
JBLs' poorly thought out trapazoidal tower with the sharp angles was REALLY bad.
Infinitys' series of large curved tower units of twenty or so years back, has my vote as a great lasting design
Just my two cents as everyone has an opnion as to what is "good" art.
_____________________________________Rick.............

There are some beautiful designs out there as well as some over the top ones and flat out ugly ones but they all have their fans. Styling is subjective just as some people prefer bright sounding speakers.

If all that was offered were black boxes this would be one boring hobby imo. Developing new technologies and styles is what keeps this and other pursuits interesting and growing. Not discounting their performance I give credit to Kharma and Sonus Faber and others for breaking new ground in style. Everyone may not like their style but boutique makers don't need to cater to the masses to be successful.

As a diy'er, I don't have a desire to make a speaker that everyone finds "nice". I would rather hear the "ooohs and ahhhs" from all or even a 1/4 the people who see them. Using cars as an example again, I wouldn't be driving the car I have now if its competitor looked as good as a BMW 535.

It would be interesting to know how many times salaried engineers offered up their newest woofer/tweeter designs just to get them kicked back by the marketing guys with such penned in the margins as..
"can we invert the half roll? That would be a cool look"
"woven fiberglass in dark grey or yellow is really hot right now. Any chance with this one?"
"Gerry thinks the phase-plug thingy is a little obnoxious. Can't you make it more streamlined" "..or just get rid of it?"
"Perfect! Add some shine to the cone and we're good to go."
"Aluminum was a hot item six months ago. We're pretty confident over here that Paraguayan Kudzu fiber is something we could capitalize on this fall. Get back to us as soon as you can get something modeled up!"

I'm a plain jane type of builder. To me a speaker should fit as in a piece of furniture, I don't really want to see it, I want to hear it. But since placement will allow a visual image, I prefer to have it look as a noble piece rather than something artsy. With all the beautiful wood and veneers out there, I could spend centuries building cabinets alone. But, that's me, and thats why you'll always see me dressed to kill in the old T-shirt and shorts with worn out tennis shoes.

Yes, I certainly take aesthetics and SAF into account, but my recent project was somewhat a departure from that. Below is my NaO Mini project, which were a real aesthetic adventure and I think looks very nice.

The next one is my most recent omnidirectional project, which is not nearly as pleasing to the eye, nor as high in the SAF, though it is still in it's mdf form.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dlneubec said:
Yes, I certainly take aesthetics and SAF into account, but my recent project was somewhat a departure from that. Below is my NaO Mini project, which were a real aesthetic adventure and I think looks very nice.

The next one is my most recent omnidirectional project, which is not nearly as pleasing to the eye, nor as high in the SAF, though it is still in it's mdf form.

I have sketched something similar to the top one before and the bottom one has a great potential to looking fantabulous.

Congrats on your project and for thinking outside "the box".

Re: Email disabled...

dlneubec said:
Thanks polkymon,

Here is a photoshop type mock up of what I think it will end up looking like, or something close to this.

Looks like a rosewood. Personally with all the black lines I would go with something with a tighter less pronounced grain to avoid looking too harsh. I've seen Rosewoods with some wild patterns which could be distracting. I would also cover the tweeter area. (Maybe you were going to?).

I would use stretchy black bracelet string. I used it on my Sonus Faber Guarneri replica and it worked great. But grill cloth would be fine too.

Of course these are only my personal opinions and mean nothing or at best not much.

One of the mahogonys here (for reference) would be nice if you want it darker. Btw this is Dc-fix from Germany which I have used on several projects. I have painted over it on occasion with craft paint to change the coloring and also poly-eed over it with excellent results. Also check oiut the marbles ( click "contact paper")

http://www.astekwallcovering.com/woodgrains_dc.htm

Unfortunately it is very hard to find and this site only sells it in 18" x 50' rolls for $50.

troystg said:
polkymon-

I would like to get some information about the construction method of the Kharma enclosuse.

Remarkably similar to what I was trying to figure out to be able to explain it to the wood shop...:smash:

I will refer to my notes and give you as much detail as I can in a later post. Btw, which Kharma? My sig pic or the 3.2 replica on my photo gallery?

Re: Art...

Richard Ellis said:
Building an enclosure with "artistic value" is really walking a tightrope.....recall the saying 'art is in the eye of the beholder'.
The upshot is your artistic creation may look like Venus de Milo to you , but may look far different to someone else!

I'm with Richard Feynman on this one, "What do you care what other people think?".

I am talking about those building speakers for themselves, not for commercial gain.

Do they, want something that looks good in their, environment?

I suspect the majority that do are not concerned if their design is palatable to the masses.

bluebeard said:
It would be interesting to know how many times salaried engineers offered up their newest woofer/tweeter designs just to get them kicked back by the marketing guys with such penned in the margins as.

In well most companies it is usually the brand director that determines what the market need is, writes the definition for the product, then engages engineering to see if it is feasible. In smaller product-oriented companies that position may be filled by the engineer/acoustician.

In great companies, the engineering team is involved at the beginning, before any ID occurs, and there is trust between both groups so that the definition reflects feasibility from the very beginning.

The worst scenario is as you describe. A committee mess with everyone making sure they are "heard" and their "needs" are met. Those products usually fail.

Re: Re: Email disabled...

polkymon said:

Looks like a rosewood. Personally with all the black lines I would go with something with a tighter less pronounced grain to avoid looking too harsh. I've seen Rosewoods with some wild patterns which could be distracting. I would also cover the tweeter area. (Maybe you were going to?).

I would use stretchy black bracelet string. I used it on my Sonus Faber Guarneri replica and it worked great. But grill cloth would be fine too.

Of course these are only my personal opinions and mean nothing or at best not much.

One of the mahogonys here (for reference) would be nice if you want it darker. Btw this is Dc-fix from Germany which I have used on several projects. I have painted over it on occasion with craft paint to change the coloring and also poly-eed over it with excellent results. Also check oiut the marbles ( click "contact paper")

http://www.astekwallcovering.com/woodgrains_dc.htm

Unfortunately it is very hard to find and this site only sells it in 18" x 50' rolls for $50.

I will refer to my notes and give you as much detail as I can in a later post. Btw, which Kharma? My sig pic or the 3.2 replica on my photo gallery?

Thanks for the ideas. Too late on the veneer, however. I already have it. It is italian rosewood and is not nearly as severe in terms of contrast between the grain colors as what is shown there, plus the scale of the color bands in the mock up is quite a bit larger than the veneer I have. I will start experimenting with finishes soon.

I haven't decided on the tweeter area for sure, but will very likely paint it the same as the other baffles so it doesn't stand out like it does in the mock-up. I simply did not take the time to do so in the mock up.

I'm not sure what you are referring to for the stretchy black bracelet srting. Some kind of grill covers? Do you have a photo where you have used it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.