Speakers for Adcom GFA 585?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fixed

If only I'd sent it to EBC Electronics the first time. :dead:

ebc-bw.png

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jim,
If only I'd sent it to EBC Electronics the first time.
In your case, I disagree. This has nothing to do with quality of work EBC Electronics does or anything like that. Of course, am really happy that you were looked after properly.

There is nothing magic that really good technicians do. All that is really required is good common sense and logical thought processes. The secret to the good work is really very simple. First, they know how an amplifier works, that's really important! Second, they know how parts interact in a circuit and also the characteristics that each part type (not brand name) have. This way they can assess the problem(s) and make sure that the existing parts are proper for the job, and that any replacement parts are up to the job. Finally, they actually follow directions and are emotionally secure enough to ask for help when they need it. They will also admit when they are wrong.

The rest of it is simply the desire to do a good job, and spend the time it takes to make a proper repair. Of course, experience can really help too. Someone who has spent 30 years without ever learning much is not going to have that much experience. We used to call those people "tube jockeys". These people tend to "shotgun" the repair. Not having the ability to troubleshoot, they simply replace everything that might be a problem. There are times when this approach is the best course of action, but these times are not common.

Jim, you should not have had to ship your amplifier that far to get a decent job done. I am sure there are a few really good, fully qualified technicians who live closer to you. There just has to be!

Enjoy your amplifier now, it really shouldn't cause you any further trouble.

-Chris

ADCOM GFA-565 .250 V offset

Hi,
I have a unit with 250 mV (200mV when warmed) offset in the output. I replaced the caps in the input board but still same offset. The caps I took out were not leaky but I changed anyway. It seems that the problem on this unit different from leaky caps. Any ideas or tips on what could be wrong greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have repaired three sets of 565's and two 585 amplifiers, it is not difficult at all and just requires extensive cleaning of the boards removing a couple of parts before cleaning it is all explained in older threads, the ten ohm resistor directly under one of the 3 leaky caps 60 percent of the time had to be replaced, I promise you take your time make sure you put the wires back where they were and it is a hour and a half job at most for two of the best monos ever produced, most compare them to krells which cost triple the amount. If anyone needs any help I can explain in greater detail

This thread was very informative and very helpful in helping me bring two GFA-565 back to factory specs. I am so pleased with the sound they produce. :p that i started looking for yet another Adcom amp: The GFA-585. I already own two GFA-535, one GFA-545II, plus the two GFA-565. The GFA-585 is quite difficult to find. Fortunately, i finally found one on ebay today. The seller had posted the amp for sale, yesterday, and i was quick to ''make an offer'', for less than half the buy it now price. And the seller accepted. So, in about a week, i will get it, and i already sent an order to Digikey for the electrolytics capacitors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.