speakers comparison

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry, but i don't like the clean informative blogger made a private label owner importing oem low cost stuff made in China a la Dayton, Silver Flute, etc.... It stinks, çapue les pieds...:D

Btw i don't know if he imports himself... Probably he has just licensed his name to an importer. Buzziness angels as usual...

Hummmm, the only thing is the measurements are not enough to tell how a driver sounds in real life ! I loved more the few measurements Mark K made, and still readable via time way back motor on the Net !

Is there no Beyma drivers you like in their huge line ? What do you have at home for everyday listening ?

OEM is everywhere, call it more "purchasing business by suppliers sourcing" ! But what bad if you have spec than a factory can makes ? The only problems I can see with cheap Dayton for instance is the spec concistencty; but after all, even Seas and ScanSpeak seem also suffer from this issue sometimes ! That's life, even the food used to be better !

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
One more question:

I read that I must not expect to a high a level of output from a single speaker so the questions is can I use 2 mid speakers in paralel? More then that, it is more easy to buy 4Ω version and I can conect it in series to obtain 8Ω.

Note that in order to get higher SPL you need to go parallel.

Two drivers in parallel results in a theoretical 3db increase due to double the surface area, and 3db increase due to double the current giving 6db increase in output.

Two drivers in series results in a theoretical 0db increase, double the surface area still results in a 3db increase but half the current results in a 3db decrease for a net increase of 0db. The advantage of the series connection should be lower distortion.

Do a search on MTM or TMM for designs using two mids.

Tony.

Is there no Beyma drivers you like in their huge line ? What do you have at home for everyday listening ?

I own TPL150, very good indeed. But i can't stand the sound of big paper cones ( over 10') from Beyma, JBL, 18S, Altec, etc... Any... They define for me PA sound, hifi is, or should be, way more refined...

Heard VOTs and stuff like this in Paris, rue de la Chine, and no, this colored stuff is definitely not my sound...:confused:

Last edited:
OEM is everywhere, call it more "purchasing business by suppliers sourcing" ! But what bad if you have spec than a factory can makes ? The only problems I can see with cheap Dayton for instance is the spec concistencty; but after all, even Seas and ScanSpeak seem also suffer from this issue sometimes ! That's life, even the food used to be better !

I have no problem with chinese stuff, only with guys putting a no-name on it, and guys who buy the stuff for this no-name. Better call it Li Fu, if Li Fu actually engineeers and produces it!:D

WHy not just buy a single PA driver which has good Xmax, easy to drive and a big Sd ! Get a 8" with a 96 dB SB acoustic 50 euros tweeter et voilà : simplier, better for your goal ! Certainly good enough for the sound, cheaper, easier to drive for your amp ! After all a pair of two serie driver in // is ...zero dB efficienty gain if i'm not mistaking !:confused:

Monacor, Emminence, B&C, (pas Beyma or GDO will blame you :D) , etc...

As you have subs already !

1) I already have the box for speaker and I want tonly to fix it.
2) I want a small front so 8" is to big
3) For better quality and HI-FI I plan to do a maybe 4 way speaker (I started here a thread for this) but for the moment it is too expensive.

Now I listen at Dual CV 170 with filter tuned, but the maximum output is ...limited...

Note that in order to get higher SPL you need to go parallel.

Two drivers in parallel results in a theoretical 3db increase due to double the surface area, and 3db increase due to double the current giving 6db increase in output.

Two drivers in series results in a theoretical 0db increase, double the surface area still results in a 3db increase but half the current results in a 3db decrease for a net increase of 0db. The advantage of the series connection should be lower distortion.

Do a search on MTM or TMM for designs using two mids.

Tony.

The current will be the same because I will use 2 x 4Ω series instead of one of 8 Ω, so 3db increase.
Good to know!.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
If somebody else made in one way that do not means that is the corect way.
A 100% correct crossover is not possible. You can make a 'virtually' correct crossover by understanding the compromises. There is more than one way to get there.

I showed the Elsinore as food for motivation. The idea of crossing some of the mid/woofers lower than the others offers the benefit of localising the mid response, increasing the cone area with regards to bass performance, and distributing the bass with regards to room modes.

The only thing I claim is that this is an example of a considered use of a speaker builder's toolkit of methods to deal with the compromises. Those that have built these have commented positively.
I read that I must not expect to a high a level of output from a single speaker
Could you clarify whether you are after max output or higher sensitivity, they are not the same. Max output from two drivers is the same whether they are in series or parallel, it just takes a different ratio of amp voltage to current.

But i can't stand the sound of big paper cones ( over 10') from Beyma, JBL, 18S, Altec, etc... Any... They define for me PA sound, hifi is, or should be, way more refined...

Heard VOTs and stuff like this in Paris, rue de la Chine, and no, this colored stuff is definitely not my sound...:confused:

This just goes to show that you've never heard a really well implemented large mid-woofer before (and yes, I agree with you on VOTs etc.).
Admittedly, really state-of-the-art systems of this kind are as rare as hen's teeth, so it's easy to sympathize with your view. But I still think you shouldn't be so categorical.

M.

A 100% correct crossover is not possible. You can make a 'virtually' correct crossover by understanding the compromises. There is more than one way to get there.

I showed the Elsinore as food for motivation. The idea of crossing some of the mid/woofers lower than the others offers the benefit of localising the mid response, increasing the cone area with regards to bass performance, and distributing the bass with regards to room modes.

The only thing I claim is that this is an example of a considered use of a speaker builder's toolkit of methods to deal with the compromises. Those that have built these have commented positively.

Could you clarify whether you are after max output or higher sensitivity, they are not the same. Max output from two drivers is the same whether they are in series or parallel, it just takes a different ratio of amp voltage to current.

Sort of.. It will be the same as if you went with one 4 ohm driver instead of one 8 ohm driver ;)

Tony.

The output level is conected to the sensibility of the driver and to the power injected in driver.
For a fixed sensibility (88db for example) using 2 drivers the maximul power injected is double together with doubling the output level .
Of course, I can use a single driver with max input power double but I need to go to PA zone and the PA speakers do not have a very low extension or low extension is very limited.

I also owned a pair of Altec Santana and still remember how Narciso Yepes' guitar categorically sounded with those like country music in a coyote bar of the fanfar west...:D

That doesn't surprise me.
But again, you are quoting another old system that wouldn't hold a candle to the kind of state-of-the-art systems I was referring to.

I think if you ever had a chance to listen to the systems below, for instance, you'd change your mind about what is possible. (I know they look similar, but I can guarantee that they sound so vastly superior it's not even funny to compare them).

G.T.Sound Reference Systems

M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.