Speaker Workshop runs slower on faster cpu ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am running SW on 3 PCs. One is an old Athlon single core of the 266MHZ FSB era, a Core2Duo T5870 laptop and another PC with an i7 processor.
The core2duo laptop and i7 both run Win7, the old athlon runs XP.

When calculating crossover responses SW zips through even a complex crossover on the old athlon as well as the new i7, but it crawls on the Core2Duo laptop. Why might that be so ? Is there some arithmetic operation or instruction set thats not in the core2duo that exists in the other two cpus ? Highly unlikely but I cant think of anything else. I have tried putting the laptop in full performance (no power management) mode and it still does that.
I haven't found the laptop to be slow while doing other things and I believe a benchmark score was also close the expected for this cpu.
So what do you think might be going on ?

How about memory (laptops usually have smaller memory)? You have to save your work in order to free the buffer (if you do a lot of change but not save it yet, you will run out of memory). In each computer, check the memory usage (by SpkrWork.exe) with Windows task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)

Last edited:
I tried running it in compatibility mode as well but no luck.
Memory is good. 2GB out of 3GB is free. Both cores are being utilized as well - about 70/30 split.

The i7 + Win7 configuration blazes through the crossover calculation so I am not sure if its just the raw horsepower of 8 cores masking another problem.

percy, you got thatone right.
win7 does indeed as for now runs few things slower than an older cpu and plain jane win xp.
allso i found that the 64 bit editions can be at some tasks be a lot slower. (whileothers may be faster. it is just a compromise)
just "cuz its neeeaw" it does not at all mean it is absolute better in everything :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.