Speaker Stands

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
spikes

I believe the main purpose is to decouple the spakers from the floor in order to reduce the amount of vibration transmitted from the speakers to the floor. Reduse resonation in the floor. I used them , if nothing else they keep my stands from oving wound too much.

So, what's the consensus on fancy speaker stands? Do they really make a big difference?

Will anything that keeps your speakers at the right place in the room and at the right height basically do the trick? Or is there a significant advantage to be had from buying or building special purpose stands?

The reason I'm asking is... I've got my Paradigm Studio/20's sitting on a pair of fairly wobbly wooden tables that I happened to have around. They work just fine for positioning the speakers, but they offer no damping or coupling to the floor (by the way, is there any agreement on which of those is preferred?). I'm also not really happy with the bass I'm getting, and I'm wondering if I ought to build a pair of solid stands, or if I'd be better off putting that time and money towards a subwoofer.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SPEAKER STANDS.

Hi,

So, what's the consensus on fancy speaker stands? Do they really make a big difference?

Oh yes they do...I'd even bolt my speakers to the topplate if possible.

I have the sick habbit of finetuning x-overs with the speakers mounted on stands like that...

The more rigid they stand the better they perform...I'm sure the misses will agree.;)

Cheers,:cool:

Thanks for the recommendation. I finally got around to building some stands this weekend. I used particle board for the top and bottom and 4" ABS drain pipe for the legs. Glued toilet flanges to the ends of the pipe, and attached them to the particle board using carriage bolts. I also lined the uprights with garbage bags and filled them with sand, to give the whole thing a little heft. Total cost: around $45 (half of that was for the flanges) and an afternoon's work.

They do make a small but noticeable improvement. Interestingly, from up close the improvement is night and day, but across the room on the sofa it's a much subtler difference. I take that to mean that my living room is doing more damage to the sound than the old wobbly tables were, and I ought to be looking into room treatments before anything else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.