speaker protection with upc1237 and mosfet

Hi Andrew ,
100k is paired with 22uf bipolar, but there is 91k serially connected to ground ,so don't what if for ,whether it's to be taken to be in calculation
47 uf paired with 56 k with for 3 seconds delay , matching your calculation,
May minek 123 explain you better
As I said donot know how to calculate but observing multiple circuits using 1237, my guess is as you decrease resistor value the the Tigger voltage decreases,

You are right, it's missing :)
I forgot about it...
Well, it works without it.

hi minek123,
finished the speaker protect as shown with 12v, seems to be working( do not how to test it) , i have few doubts about ground reference,
suppose if iam powering it from separate power supply ( either via 220 v to 12v dc converter or via 12 v transformer out put) will the board needs ground from star ground or its just needs only its power ground hope u understand my question , can u tell me in detail how to test it

Hi drgnanam,

Have you built this circuit and got it working ?
Do you have any PCBs for it ?

Thanks

hi, cakyol
i have built it and its working but i have not able test inside an amplifier as my
other projects got derailed due to other factors,
if you are interested i can provide gerber files for you to manufacture as sending pcb might not be viable option from india to usa due to customs forms

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Anyone know what value of series resistors for the DC sensing to use with a power amp with 95 volt rails.
The 1237 is powered by a 12 VDC supply and delay and shutoff work fine, i just need to figure out what value the 2 resistors that sense the DC offset are ? Can’t tell from the data sheet. pin 2 has 100 uf bipolar cap and a 100 k to ground, but I can t figure out the resistors from the amp output to pin 2 to sense the DC with the chance it goes to 95 VDC

do you need 100k and 47uF?
They have a time constant of 4.7s
i.e. if presented with a 5Volt offset, the cap will have charged to ~3.2V in that 4.7s, or to ~1.5V in 2s.
That will give a slow response to a small offset. Is that what you want?
The circuit will react more quickly if full rail voltage is presented to the offset detection.
I have used 100k and 3u3F for a 330ms time constant. That's more than 10 times quicker. That lets you choose an MKT with 63V, or 100V rating.
You could even go to 1uF and 330k for the same speed of reaction.
What voltage does the chip trigger at?

I am trying to understand this a bit better.

Pin 2, which detects the DC offset, have wildly varying capacitor values based on different designs, altho most of the other components are pretty similar.

What should that value ideally be ?

In my estimate, if it is too small, it seems like it will trigger prematurely at lower frequencies. So, to allow a 5 Hz signal to go thru without firing, what should the approximate value be ?

I have seen values ranging from 22uF all the way to 330 uF.

Has anyone actually experimented with it ?

Assuming Ra, Rb & Rc are 120k, 120k & 91k as shown on the datasheet calculations (2V threshold), what should the C be so that it does not fire above 5Hz during normal operation. My choice of 5Hz seems random but it is possible to have low frequency coming into the speaker because of source, even tho the speakers cannot reproduce it. So, the circuit must not trigger and keep on cutting the speaker off when there is no actual real danger to it.

Last edited: