Speaker driver burn-in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The initial stretch-out of the spider will take a few minutes. The surround will loosen continuously for the life of the driver. So depending on your definition of Break-in/burn-in it could be between 3 min. or 10 years. I'd just give it ~10min of low level signal to warm up the spider then increase the output slowly for about an hour. (Use music not a tone.)

I must apologize. I had a really bad couple of weeks and and yes I did think it was some sort of sarky remark. I just ordered these two drivers and plan on making desktop speakers with them. You have my most sincere apology Speedskater. I was thinking of using a TEST TONE GENERATOR to burn them in. Any suggestions on freq range I should use? Specs say 80 to 15kHz. Should I have it sweep through this range for 10min to and hour?

Ah, yes...the dangers of voodoo electronics:rolleyes:...Cal and the rest are correct...if your speakers were transported in the dead of winter at minus-something celcuis, or in very high humidity or searing heat you'd be well advised to let them stabilize at your normal listening room temperature for a few hours before subjecting to a vigorous workout.

Other than that they'll be good to go.:D

Proponents of extended speaker burn in are also wont to advocate cable elevators, resonance dampening cabinet polish and other such nonsense:crazy:

The initial stretch-out of the spider will take a few minutes.
Agreed
The surround will loosen continuously for the life of the driver.
Again, not so fast. Depending on the environment, the spider and surround can can lose the volatiles or solvents that are keeping them supple and begin to stiffen over time.
So depending on your definition of Break-in/burn-in it could be between 3 min. or 10 years. I'd just give it ~10min of low level signal to warm up the spider then increase the output slowly for about an hour. (Use music not a tone.)
Agreed. I know when I bring upstairs the cabinets with the CSS WR125's, I have to put on some nice bassy stuff and go for a 1/2 hour walk before I do any serious listening. Great driver but they do need to warm up. Just like so many other drivers.

The initial stretch-out of the spider will take a few minutes. The surround will loosen continuously for the life of the driver.

The rubber surround can also stiffen, although they can be perfectly stable for several decades. It depends on the materials used and the environment they are in.
Foam surrounds can rot quite quickly, other times they too can last a very long time, even decades.

Room temperature, driver excursion, exposure to uv light, moisture in air can all play their part. Users in warm tropical countries could have more excursion from their drive unit surrounds as elasticity changes, this can even mean that a speaker will have a slightly different tonal balance. Air conditioning can also affect materials.
Some treated paper cones can outlast some unstable plastics and other so called high tech composite materials.
Some ancient classic drivers are still going strong when milky white polymer cones from just a decade ago have cracked from UV exposure.

From everything I read (some allegedly from driver manufacturers) driver break in takes either a few minutes or around an hour.

AFAIK could tell the proponents of 'a few minutes' use a sine wave of around driver Fs and play it close to Xmax while the 'around an hour' faction uses music or pink noise at less than Xmax.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.