Speaker Design: Comprehensive list of Recommended Design Tools

Well, I've tried most of the offerings over many years and I have just found VirtuixCAD. I am absolutely knocked out by it!. It's very comprehensive and the quality of both the software and the manual puts some commercial software to shame. It's free to download and use, and there is means to make a voluntary donation. It even links to LTSpice for complete analogous electrical simulation. I guess LEAP is still needed for complex audio problems, but VirtuixCAD will do me for everything else. It's very current and was last updated only a few weeks ago.

VirtuixCAD website
Looks nice but it is only for windows. For Linux just "QSpeakers" as techtool in post # 37. For the moment I'll try to investigate if scimpy is in someway compatible with my Manjaro Linux https://github.com/maqifrnswa/scimpy

Looks nice but it is only for windows. For Linux just "QSpeakers" as techtool in post # 37. For the moment I'll try to investigate if scimpy is in someway compatible with my Manjaro Linux https://github.com/maqifrnswa/scimpy
VituixCAD runs in Linux via Wine, instruction here:
https://kimmosaunisto.net/Software/VituixCAD/VituixCAD_in_Linux_v0.2.pdf

(I would still recommend running in VM instead)

For measurements in Linux platform REW is a surprisingly functional option.

Reactions: 1 users
Strip windows to bare bones and it will survive with 4GB minimum allocation, if you're worried about ruining your SSD, spend $20-$30 on the cheapest SSD available to you and dedicate that to the VM. But I suppose it all depends on your goals, do you really want to design speakers utilizing the best software tools available or enjoy the challenge of trying to get some alternative funtional solution that is GNU/GPL. If it's the former, I would recommend getting a functional windows installation. If it's the latter, have fun!

Reactions: 1 user
Strip windows to bare bones and it will survive with 4GB minimum allocation, if you're worried about ruining your SSD, spend $20-$30 on the cheapest SSD available to you and dedicate that to the VM. But I suppose it all depends on your goals, do you really want to design speakers utilizing the best software tools available or enjoy the challenge of trying to get some alternative funtional solution that is GNU/GPL. If it's the former, I would recommend getting a functional windows installation. If it's the latter, have fun!
it is obvious many many years ago. Linux

Vcad mostly works fine in wine and we know to expect its unsupported. There are several abandoned codebases if source code of design app(s) is more your interest. All depends on what you wish to do. If you have wine and dosbox, you can run much of what's been mentioned. If that's unsatisfactory, as always, it's more work :)

I used it to get those cabinet measurements.

Okay, I missed it, where do you put in the speaker data and where is the chart(s)? I only see one page filled and the only image is of the man and the speaker cabinet.
Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 12.38.35 PM.png

Hearingspace, I was incorrect in my remembrance of deviating from Fs=Fr:
You can go a bit lower and it will deviate a little bit from the performance you get from a standard recipe BIB. I expect maximum soundlevel will be lower. But about 0.7 times resonance frequency is acceptable. So 0.7*70=49 Hz. That's prett close to 45Hz and will probably not make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I know PCD (Passive Crossover Designer, Excel based) and XSim can output either the .frd (magnitude and phase) of the low/hi-pass responses (driver and crossover combined) or just the the low/hi-pass filter responses (magnitude and phase). Pretty sure VituixCad does too, but haven't verfied it.

I'll add a plus one to Howards request! At the risk of dating myself, I last used BoxPlot to look at cabinet volumes vs response, and was hoping for something a bit newer! At this point I'm mostly interested in the cabinet design itself, along with some driver measurement capability (to verify published parameters are reasonably accurate).

For non-native French speakers, Dominique's site takes patience in translators but it is truly amazing in depth of some of the coverage--it just has a sort of flow to it that must be understood. Interesting sense of humor/perspective in there, too--appreciated. Lost 3 hours in there today--thank you for posting.