speaker design advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've just been reading thru this topic and I must admit I'm glad there are some reasonable people over here. Calculating speaker housings specially for subwoofers is a little bit overrated. I prefer just to have a very solid resonance free enclosure above a very correct calculated housing. So what I would do is use the VAS parameter as some kind of reference on what you want to end up plusminus build a very descent enclosure and make sure you make extra supporting ribs in the speaker, break all corners and you will end up with something that is more descent then most commercial products currently delivered.

Hi the tweeters you have are really good PA rather than HiFi tweeters. For a recomendation on a 0.5cuft design Zaph Audio has done an excellent design at reasonable cost.
Zaph|Audio - ZA-SR71
You can get all the parts from
Zaph|Audio SR71 Kit - Pair - Parts Only

However shipping to the UK might not make that cost effective you might be better getting the parts from
Seas | Loudspeaker freaks

Bitumen pads are effective at absorbing a large range of frequency vibrations, coverting vibration to heat. Undoubtly some energy will be reflected from the surface however for the cost the are very effective.

Internally I would use baffwadding or upholstry stuffing its more expensive than rock wool but rock wool is horible to work with and sheds fibers. If you go with the Zaph ported design the internal wall should be foam lined and the path from the woof to the port clear to maintain the Q of the port resonance.

Hi And thanks for reading this post.

I realise from reading this forum's posts that loudspeaker design is complicated and one cannot just shove a drive unit into a box and get good results.
I have bass box pro and win isd software programs, within which you enter the drive units thiele-small parameters and it gives you the enclosure dimensions and port sizes.
But winisd and bass box pro are giving me very much different results for the same drivers, also there are a few websites which do the same thing for free, but the websites are also giving me different results.
What should i do, who should i trust? Or is this a bad way to approach cabinet design altogether. Are there any other programs i should try/or not try.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Designing speakers is a lot about understanding what you're doing. It helps to read a good book, and actually build and try things. I also believe that actual measurements are much more useful than simulations. It does not take much more to measure things instead of simulating them (all you need is a microphone and a soundcard, which is built into most computers anyway). Before going there, however, read a good book.

Yeah, i don't know why that is. I have tried the visaton b200's and a few other free air drivers, but have always thought they sound better in a box.
I know this goes against common sense that once you go open baffle there are no box colourations, standing waves, but just sounds better in a box,
heard it's something to do with the drive unit riding the air trapped within the enclosure. Don't know what that means though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.