Speaker break-in albums? (not show off albums)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somehow I doubt that'll play freely for 100+ hours. I'd like to set up an electronic playlist that I can walk away from and come back to after work.

I have hard time to understand what you really want .. LP or CD ? If you want CD - play on repeat for 100 days if you want ... and i give you a link to CD

You was asking for Record and i give you link for record ...

If you are looking to download files - can't help ...

Can't help more then i did ...

Thanx and have a great day ...

Somehow I doubt that'll play freely for 100+ hours (my turntable doesn't auto repeat). I'd like to set up a digital flac playlist that I can walk away from and come back to after work.

Just play a variety of easy listening types, like jazz or light rock/pop/classical etc. at low volume. Pretty sure I've read Mark's comments about avoiding electronic/dance music where there is a repetitive bass beat, regardless of volume.

BTW, there is a Mark Audio sub-forum here if you desire specific answers pertaining to his drivers. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/

jeff

Last edited:
Just play a variety of easy listening types, like jazz or light rock/pop/classical etc. at low volume. Pretty sure I've read Mark's comments about avoiding electronic/dance music where there is a repetitive bass beat, regardless of volume.

BTW, there is a Mark Audio sub-forum here if you desire specific answers pertaining to his drivers. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/

jeff
Okay, perfect. We're in the same ballpark. I'm looking for album recommendations. Got any?

Okay, perfect. We're in the same ballpark. I'm looking for album recommendations. Got any?

No, not really. You mentioned viola, so I was thinking of some baroque music, Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, that sort of thing. Maybe mix in some vocal jazz like Ella Fitzgerald. She has a really sweet voice, which I'm sure your speakers will like.:)

After you've hit the 200Hr mark, you're allowed to play "Fully Completely".;)

jeff

It may be pink noise, why not? ... or anything which repeatedly flexes the suspension(s) until they soften and stabilize.

Personally I'd rather listen to Music than anthing else, specially for hours :)

And integration of all musical notes played along some time, probably won't be too different to pink noise, if at all.

Unless it's a Drum'n Bass record , the complete works of a solo violin or flute player or similar.

But with Rock Music, I bet we get a good chunk of everything :)

In fact, I remember seeing graphs by people who tested exactly that.

It may be pink noise, why not? ... or anything which repeatedly flexes the suspension(s) until they soften and stabilize.

Personally I'd rather listen to Music than anthing else, specially for hours :)

And integration of all musical notes played along some time, probably won't be too different to pink noise, if at all.

Unless it's a Drum'n Bass record , the complete works of a solo violin or flute player or similar.

But with Rock Music, I bet we get a good chunk of everything :)

In fact, I remember seeing graphs by people who tested exactly that.

OK, what this have to do with burning-in speakers ?

Listening music is not burning in - there is a reason for words BURNING-IN ... and process of burning-in ....

... also There is not special way of burning different brands of speakers ...

If you just listen music - is just listening music ... and speakers will be just fine, but after much-much longer time ...

... or i am wasting my time ... or you guys are making fun of me ... or you really have not idea or not really interested in topic ... something is not right ...

Well, I'm not an expert on this. I just know that the manufacturer of these long-throw delicate full rangers describes a very specific process for burning in the spider so that the micro-cracks in them are uniform. He suggests starting with delicate music and slowly adding more natural bass and then rhythmic music. I honestly thought this was the norm for full-rangers (as could be seen in my original post). I was just looking for some easy listening music suggestions really.

Hi Guys,
A rest day for me from the office and work bench, so I can hopefully assist this thread on the general issue of run-in and whether its needed on all drivers.

There's too much past "absolutist" comment about this issue. Some say running-in is a "must do", others argue the process is allot of nonsense. Like so many things in life, the reality complex and is not sufficiently understood, both camps falling into the over-simplication trap. The need to "run-in" drivers depends on the design and functional goals of their design.

Long-throw, light mass, low power drivers (Markaudio and similar) deploy power-train components that usually have greater critical operational and load tolerances. The suspensions deployed in Markaudio designs are unusual. They are low mass yet have a mechanically wide/long working demand load. These suspensions when new, require initial limited loading to allow these for the establishment of operational tolerances. For your interest, I've included 2 pics, the first illustrates the thin design of a Markaudio spider, you can observe its so thin that the component underneath can be viewed through the spider material. From this illustration, you may come to appreciate the fibre weave in such a spider design will be load critical in its early operational phase, its weave needs gradual and progressive loading to allow it to establish a working tolerance. The second illustration shows a test data record for some of the testing we do to establish operational loading for this type of component. You may observe the blocked section illustrating values that relate to excursion and component dimension, also note temperature and moisture (environmental) are factored into the data. This data is generated from lab testing where a loading pattern is developed to establish a mean and median mechanical load condition. For commercial reasons, I won't explain this data in more detail, its here to give you an appreciation of the relative complexity of this component.

Short-throw, light mass, low power drivers are a bit more tricky to assess. However, given their low tolerance to excursive loadings, its likely best to operate these drivers with additional care right from the outset, rather than worry too much about running-in.

Standard construction, commercial and heavier load, higher power drivers usually have a different set of constructional and operational values. Their power-trains usually deploy thicker heavier duty materials where load tolerances are much wider. Excursion ratings will be close limit allowing greater resistance to increased loadings regardless of their initial working state. The most extreme examples would be large high-power (>200 watt ratings) sub-woofers which have very large bulk suspension set-ups, sufficient to preclude running-in. In short, most drivers falling into this category usually require little (if any) running in. However, we should be mindful that driver manufacture and design varies, so following specific makers recommendations is wise.

There are several other factors than determine the performance during its early operational phase, too much for one post. I've picked this one as for Markaudio and similar drivers, heavier loadings applied during the initial and early operation service life of the driver can affect mechanical compliance. In more extreme cases of miss-applied early service loadings, the suspension components could be forced beyond their operational working tolerance, Qm and Qt values could change, thus rendering box alignments moving from optimal to inaccurate.

Like so many things in life, its largely a matter of applying practical working sense. For end-users buying light(er) load drivers, it generally pays to be gradual and progressive with the early operation of the drivers. Those buying heavier load driver usually have less need to concentrate on these aspects of early service life operation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• markaudio-suspension.jpg
    markaudio-suspension.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 79
  • spider-data7.jpg
    spider-data7.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Well, I'm not an expert on this. I just know that the manufacturer of these long-throw delicate full rangers describes a very specific process for burning in the spider so that the micro-cracks in them are uniform. He suggests starting with delicate music and slowly adding more natural bass and then rhythmic music. I honestly thought this was the norm for full-rangers (as could be seen in my original post). I was just looking for some easy listening music suggestions really.

Hi St,
I hope my post No.30 gives you the background to running-in generally in relation to driver types.

Naturally everyone has their personal musical tastes, but for most low-power drivers, general music (light classical, vocals, mood, easy listening etc) will provide a signal platform sufficient to allow components to bed-in. Any source should suffice (CD, computer - I use ITunes, Bob lets his wife and TV soaps do the work, etc.). Using a turntable and some favourite records is a nice way to go, just keep the driver volume down to a moderate listening level.

Generally, 100 hours is a typical period of time for these purposes, afterwards a gradually introduce more musical variety, some with more bass output.

Most makers that I know don't recommend a fixed signal, it risks imprinting memory into the drivers's power-train components.

Some users report Markaudio cones take up to 500 hours to reach their best. Naturally, each user will have their own perceptions; The state change of Markaudio cones in early service life is more complex to describe; I'll save comment for another time when my energy levels are improved.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
let me get this right - the OP is looking for a particular signal type to play repeatedly to "break in" the driver?

To what end when set against just playing stuff you want to listen to and then (hey this is novel...) listening?
No. Not repeating. I'm looking for album recommendations of easy listening light music. I don't normally listen to this type of music but I do enjoy it. I made the assumption most full-range people also break in their drivers with this and would have favourites to recommend.

No. Not repeating. I'm looking for album recommendations of easy listening light music. I don't normally listen to this type of music but I do enjoy it. I made the assumption most full-range people also break in their drivers with this and would have favourites to recommend.

Worth a look on Amazon or Ebay for female/male vocal, bands and classical. For example: Gladdis Knight, John Denver, Cat Stevens. Bands like Fleetwood should be easy to find on vinyl. Even found Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon (showing my age) but best save that one for later. Classical: Beethoven Bicentennial collection (5 LP's all original boxed collection) going for cheap money. For piano, Bach's Goldberg Variations (Glen Gauld or Murray Perahia). There's allot of choice.

Sounds like you're well into Vinyl? Maybe its a good time to pick up some rarer or interesting collector records? Depends what you like naturally. In Hong Kong, there's quite a following for Japanese new vinyl production. There was allot of buying of the original masters, many went to Tokyo, fantastic quality new pressings, but they're very expensive.

Thanks
Mark

Last edited:
I have absolutely no idea where the notion of vinyl is coming from. I think that must be a mis-translation by software when I use the word album. I have stated multiple times that I'll be creating a digital flac playlist for this purpose. I'm trying to think of synonyms to album that might not be mistranslated (if that's the problem), possibly release. Working with full albums is just much easier to fill up a 100+hr playlist and they're easier to find in high quality digital formats.

Thank you for some musical recommendations.

Also, Mark, since you're here and we're on the subject of proper burn-in procedure. Is it okay to burn in long-throw, low mass, low power drivers in temporary enclosures? As in, put them in sealed boxes (of appropriate size) while the ported or BLH enclosure is still being built/finished?

Mark, the break-in info you've been posting really deserves a "sticky" on your site, as this topic pops up now and again. I realize you're not feeling 100 percent, so it's something to consider adding in the future. Hope you're doing well BTW.:)

Regards,
jeff
I would agree. In fact earlier today I was thinking it might be best to include burn-in instructions on a small sheet of paper with each driver since many owners may not even be on the forums.

Last edited:
I would agree. In fact earlier today I was thinking it might be best to include burn-in instructions on a small sheet of paper with each driver since many may not even be on the forums.

Yes fellas, timely points.

Usually Markaudio threads fill with feedback including practical tips that spread throughout the community. I'm looking into producing mini-vedios (youtube) as they might prove more interesting and easier to understand, also helps those using English as a secondary language. Human nature being what it is, quite allot of folks tend to skip printed or written notes/instructions, me included.

You might want to take a look a recent attempt to use Youtube within the Markaudio section on Amp Camps. If the Youtube idea gets good feedback, I maybe OK to invest some resources into small productions to produce videos.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.