SPDIF Output from SAA7020, SAA7000

poynton said:
Hi
So as this format is available on the TDA1541 ( simultaneous offset binary), can a 1541 replace the 1540 if it is set up correctly and the saa7000 set to 16 bit??
andy

In simultaneous offset binary mode the TDA1541/A has separate left and right inputs and will connect to the SAA7000 with no changes needed as the SAA7000 already outputs separate left and right 16bit offset binary data.

hi.
So going back to my original input to this thread, in my Philips CD104, it would be easier to replace the TDA1540's with a TDA1541, with the SAA7000 set to 16bit. Can I still use the SAA7030 to give me 4x oversampling or is this chip only for 14 bit?

My own viewpoint on cd-p's and external DAC's is that why use an external dac when the internal transport and dac are already very good to excellent. for example, would you use an external dac with a CD880?

tks
Andy

poynton said:
hi.
So going back to my original input to this thread, in my Philips CD104, it would be easier to replace the TDA1540's with a TDA1541, with the SAA7000 set to 16bit.

The SAA7000 IS set to 16bit.

Can I still use the SAA7030 to give me 4x oversampling or is this chip only for 14 bit?

Not without a little glue logic.

My own viewpoint on cd-p's and external DAC's is that why use an external dac when the internal transport and dac are already very good to excellent. for example, would you use an external dac with a CD880?

tks
Andy

Depends. You'd be hard pushed to fit 4 6SN7's complete with valve regulated PSU in a CD880.

rfbrw said:

A more useful response to Phimor's question.

7 inverters
5 4bit synchronous counters
3 8bit shift registers
3 D-type flip-flops
1 D-type flip-flop with asynchronous clear
1 2-to-1 multiplexer
1 2-input nand gate
1 5-input and gate

I have some GAL's lying around :D

As for connecting the 1541 to the 7000: i tried it, it works (workbench test only, no listening).

Some other remarks reading this thread: The 1541 cannot directly replace the 1540 as the first is 16 bit and the latter is only 14. The 7030 is 16 bit in, 14 bit out (at 4x os).

I can make a pcb design quickly for the above if you share the design. I count 14 ic's (?)

Btw, my 'main' player uses a NPC DAC, this 1541 thing is just a hobby :D

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1174579
2nd April 2007, 08:52 PM #54 Salar
this is what the given thread is about, the SAA70XX Ic´s for decoding the Data and feeding the TDA´s. So many bolts and nuts aren´t there to be left over if you open the top cover to check the IC´s...
All the best, Salar

3rd April 2007, 04:21 AM #55 rfbrw
Having once managed to get the CS8402A to work with the SAA7000, I have to seriously question whether it is worth the effort. Whilst all the spdif flags did what they were supposed to and there were no clicks and pops, the resulting sound was so unrelentingly bad, I had to conclude something must be wrong somewhere. Either that or the SAA7000 is not good without the SAA7030 and TDA1540.

5th April 2007, 02:05 AM #56 anatech
Hi Andreas, The signal processing occurs on the small board underneath. The components are mounted towards the bottom of the servo PCB. The black metal box on the rear panel contains the audio filter section.
Hi rfbw,
=======================================================
Quote: the resulting sound was so unrelentingly bad, I had to conclude something must be wrong somewhere. Either that or the SAA7000 is not good without the SAA7030 and TDA1540.
============================================ ==========
If the mech. is not set up properly you will get increased digital errors. The modified Nak OMS-5/7 has a wonderful servo section and a very stable eye pattern, low noise too. Being this is a Philips design, there is a coil that sometimes needs to be adjusted for the VCO. Misadjustment will cause exactly what you are describing, or even sound mutes and breakups.
You could always allow the servo section to work and feed the eye pattern into another chip set. That should sound pretty good. Just rip one out of a CD player that has a cheap transport, but a good D/A. -Chris anatech

5th April 2007, 03:01 AM #57 rfbrw
My post was not so much about the Nakamachi, more the feasability of adding SPDIF to players based on the 14 bit Philips chipset. In this case it was another 14 bit machine, the CD104 and I had two at the time one, in pristine condition, used as a reference. I also used a dac with selectable inputs so I could switch between the modified CD104 and a Sony DVD player. The SPDIF modified '104 was absolutely dire.

Thank you for the advice to this weblink. But the databus transforming circuit I don't find.
From SAA7030 to TDA1540 I see the follow signals:
1) LAT (Strobe Output/Latch enable)
2) Data Clock Output 4,2832MHz "CLFD" (= Clock from Filter to DAC, = Masterclock)
3) DLFD (Data Left from FIL to DAC)
4) DRFD (Data Right from FIL to DAC)
please have a look to
www.acec13.fr/tvc/Philips/documentation/cd350.pdf
(Service-Manual Philips CD350)
CS8402 (that have more flexibility as the PCF3523) supported not such data bus. I see FSYNC (frame synchronisation) that could be left/right signal or a word clock. Additional I see only the Master Clock (MCK, MCLK), Serial Clock (SCK or SCLK) and Serial Data.
If I have your schematic for translation concerning the data bus from SAA7030 resp. SAA7000 to that one for CS8401/CS8402 (especially DOL/DOR to Fsync) I find certaily out the reason for the unsatisfy sonic results by your own experience.

Last edited: