Spam, Spam, Spam, Lawsuits and Spam....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
PC + MAC

Per,

I wouldn't know.
It comes as a surprise to me that Macs are that "affordable" in your country.
I always state to people that running Porsches,Mercs and BMW's is relatively cheap.
I'm not a bean counter,but back in the seventies and eighties it was a viable alternative to Japanese cars in my country.
Nowadays,road taxes on anything labeled as a "sports" car are so high that I can't afford it really.
I do agree that people are often fooled into what I see as "false economies".
As far as PC's are concerned,I make my "clone" to my whishlist and that is it.
For the kind of money you're talking about, I still run a dual PIII 800MHz which never let me down so far.
On the server side we run basically the same kind of configuration,no probs either.
All of it on SCSI all the way down to the cd-writers which may be a bit harder to get right but so much more reliable.
I'm touching wood as I write it but I never experienced a hard disk crash in several years.
Maybe I'm just lucky,but somehow I do not believe that.
;)

Best regards,

Re: Re: Re: MAC

peranders said:

BTW: Does anybody know if there is a PCB CAD program for Mac which is supported?

Therein lies a lot of the problem.... Last I heard, the Mac OS ran Windows programs. In some cases, much better than Windows!

Macs, IMO, are about as useless as breasts on a bowling ball, unless you're doing heavy A/V work.

As for corporate email. Well, most of the medium-to-large businesses have ample firewalls and filtering to prevent most spam from getting through. Plus I don't think it's a terribly big problem since most people aren't using their business email in a manner that gets them put on spam mail lists. Most businesses (in the US, at least) have a *very* low tolerance for personal use of business email, which aids in the problem.

The real problem of spam, aside from the frustration factor of the recipients is that it requires a rather significant amount of bandwidth and storage space. So much so, in fact, that many smaller ISPs (Mom 'n Pop Shops) cannot deal with it adequately.

If you recieve a lot of spam from a particular individual, I'd consider forwarding a lot of the spam to abuse@[insert spammer's ISP], since most ISPs do have rules and regulations about sending spam.

Regards,

Mark Broker

Err, DOS is just a simple OS, it is in no way like any modern UNIX clone. It can't even drive the CPU in protected mode(as the orginal CPU it was designed for didn't offer a protected mode.)

MacOS X isn't UNIX, hell nothing is UNIX anymore, unless your running a PDP/11(Or a PDP/8, or one of the other native ports). It is based off a free microkernel known as Mach, and the userland is mostly taken from FreeBSD. The Mach kernel has also been seriously modified, and last I heard contains a full sysctl interface, among other things from the FreeBSD kernel. BSD itself was made orginally has a patch kit against the orginal UNIX, and slowly grew into a whole OS. The only thing anymore considered "UNIX" are OSes that have a license with the Open Group(such as Solaris, AIX, Irix, etc). Also, Windows NT/2K/XP aren't in anyways based on DOS. They run only in protected mode. NT 3.1 was pretty much Microsoft's first OS based on completely new code(Unless you include BASIC).

Your windows firewall software, things like "BlackIce Defender", and "Norton Personal Firewall" are to say the least worthless. They simply cause parania as they report useless information as possible "attacks" and most people running them don't understand enough in the first place. If you're running windows and worried about security, simply keep your system software upto date, via windowsupdate, that is the best you can do.

I personally block few domains on my firewall box. Things like .ja, .ch, .cn, among others, and of course .ro. This is a good way just cut down on worthless traffic and spam.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
moses said:
The only thing anymore considered "UNIX" are OSes that have a license with the Open Group(such as Solaris, AIX, Irix, etc)

All of Mac OS X below a certain level (ie the graphics engine layer, the UI, Classic are above) -- the bits termed Darwin are OpenSource so i guess by your definition makes OS X UNIX (which it certainly is).

dave

Err, the "Open Group" unfortunetly has nothing todo with "open source" heh :). The Open Group holds the copyright to the term "UNIX" and generally license the term out when a OS meets certain POSIX requirements and pays a certain fee. I do realize Darwin is completely free, including for the x86 ports, and you can simply run X on top of it along with any compatible window manager. However, I would consider it being called UNIX a little insulting even, as BSD was developed over the years as a alternative, calling it a "BSD" is much more accurate, plus some thanks to the university of utah for the mach kernel. But calling it UNIX is like calling FreeBSD UNIX, or Mach-Lites, among many other OSes. It has many similarities, and many improvements, and it does not contained any of the orginal UNIX sources(ever since AT&T sued after the release of 4.4-BSD). It's almost as bad as people calling GNU/Linux UNIX when GNU stands for "GNU's Not UNIX". :)

Re: PC + MAC

fdegrove said:
I wouldn't know.
It comes as a surprise to me that Macs are that "affordable" in your country.

The cheapest Mac here costs 900 USD.

Of cource you can get an old one or a tjing tjong model made in Tawian for under 1000 USD, but I talked about fair quality and fair support.

But when we come to costs: What about MS prices for NT server vs. Mac OSX server? There you have a BIG difference. MS aren't cheap these days and they want more. Linux, Star Office AND MacOSX are gaining because of the lower costs when all is paid including consultants!

I agree that there is a desert area in the field of PCBs CAD and programming microcontrollers on Mac but I see a small change here. UNIX nerds are beginning to discover OSX are a really cool UNIX and not very expensive. If you are into Linux you can allways run it on a Mac.

Since we started talk about spam I also want to point out about all these PC virus I get. I'm glad though that I can be relaxed. There are no viruses on Mac. This is almost true beacuse we don't have Visual Bacic, but we have AppleScript but noone cares to make AppleScript virus of some peculiar reason. The persons who want to make real nasty viruses must have deep knowledge about the OS and all these VB hackers don't have it, I suppose. Mac users are friendly.

Don't use MS products at all if you want peace and quite (hard to avoid though).

Alternatives...

A good mate of mine has had long involvement with the now defunct Acorn series of computers.(RISC processor).
He designs all of his PCBs on an old machine, and has his WP and invoice/accounting package on it and it can pretty well do everything that a PC or Mac can do.
Some Schools here used to use them.
Some of the benefits are that all settings can be restored to factory by holding a couple of keys down and pushing the power button - IOW he can quickly sort out things that have been tampered with by the little darlings while the teacher was not looking - try that with Windows !.
Another significant benefit is that cold boot time is about 6 seconds, and an additional 20 seconds to load the Invoice/Accounts package.
I don't know if he gets spam, but he does say that it is virus immune because the OS sits in a couple of ROM chips on the motherboard, and the code for these RAMs is also freely available so you can burn your own.
And get this - the processor outdoes a Pentium 500 or so and does not even have a heatsink.
He also tells me that he saw a photo of an Acorn laptop running off a solar cell - try that with an Intel chipset.
I don't just leave any 300W lightbulbs on around the house, so this level of power consumption grates me when you multiply that by the sheer numbers of PC's running 24/7 in offices etc throughout the world when presumably the same jobs can be done for much lower energy cost.
There was a StrongArm system in the pipeline but I think that has gone belly up.
From what I have seen and understand of his Acorn, perhaps all computers should be built along these lines in future.
Oh no, I have hijacked my own thread - someone dob me in to the moderator at once.

Eric.

I remember the good ol days when email bombing was legal :) Wanna spam me huh, how about you take a look at these 20,000 messages from me, each with a 0.5 megabyte attachment :D That would take down the mail server for ohhhhh, a few days ;)

That would usually get me off of thier mailing list. If you do ever email bomb anyone, make sure you email to the reply to address, not the from address which is usually a fake.

"I remember the good ol days when email bombing was legal"
So, do you mean it is legal for them to spam us, but not legal for us to spam them back ?.
At least now it is legal to make known the source address of the spammer - this was the prosecution case that Joe made the spammers address public and available for SPEWS to notice and place on its spam offenders list.
Part of Joes complaint is that the "remove me" link is often bogus and gives no result, so spam from that source continues, and this drove him to track down the originating address.
Joes defence is that he merely posted the offenders address on a forum, and does not know who SPEWS are, nor how to contact SPEWS so did not directly give any information to SPEWS. It seems that this is a landmark case, and opens the way for other internet/email users to make complaint without fear of being bullied by these AH's - IOW spammers can get stuffed.

Eric.

Now. I'm so sick of all spam. I have now changed my email address. Look the picture. This account is NEVER used still I have 444 spam in two months.

One odd thing. I was out in the cold some time now. I was activated (after changing email address) and comfirmed so but still I had padlocks on all forums. This is now fix by the moderators but I'm curious what the problem was. I had also problems to log out!

Attachments

• spam.gif
    spam.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 184
I will test the technique to write pa_remove_this@heaven_remove_this.se in order to fool the spammers. I know they have smarter ways to get hold of my address but from now I will use faked addresses except for places where you have to have real ones. Also at my homepage I have started to use fake addresses.

150 spam a day, what do you do if you are on vacation? How many non-spam emails do you get? If I went bananas for 5-15 spam to each account how would I react if I got 150?

:redhot: :skull: :headshot: :cubist: :whacko: :flame: :headbash: :headbash: :Pirate: :Pirate::wchair: :RIP:

Peranders, the problem is not that spammers "find" your email address when you use it, but rather your "free" email company sells your address to the spammers! I have verified this with AOL, MSN, and Yahoo by opening an account, and not using it for anything. I start to magically recieve spam in a matter of days!

So I find the "enhanced spam blockers" offered by MSN and AOL to be highly amusing.... Perhaps they treat their paying customers with more respect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.