Spain has gone non smoking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Finally the health costs are outweighing all the "donations" and tax revenue they provided to govts around the world."

A quick google shows that smokers cost the british NHS up to £1.7billion per annum.
The inland revenue receives £8.7billion per year in tax on tobacco products, over £10billion when including VAT.
If one were to take into account the reduced average life span of tobacco smokers and therefore reduced pension costs the numbers would slant even more in favour of smoking.

Check this out

Interesting but runs contrary to my own experience in China. They introduced a ban of sorts a year or so back and while there are still people smoking in public, the numbers have definitely gone down since I arrived in 2005. It was my no.1 gripe about living here (as a non-smoker), now its barely on my radar. I guess my own city is not representative of China as a whole.

The way I see it heroin addicts and crack addicts who are sent to prison for possession of these drugs only are probably not hurting anybody but themselves. In prison they will learn how to be real criminals and then they won't be able to get good jobs when they get out. So you teach them a new trade (crime) then remove the possibility of them doing anything else after release.

Some people will say they were probably already doing real crime and I say if that is true put them prison for those crimes then. They only truly need drug charges for people who do not commit other crimes.

If it were legal we could tax it and regulate it so less people would die from doing it. Also if it were legal the price would come down and junkies would not have to steal to support their habits.

And as for violent crime? Nobody shoots anybody for drugs. They shoot them to avoid ridicules prison sentences. During alcohol prohibition people killed each other for alcohol all the time but they actually killed each other to avoid prison. Since alcohol has been legal nobody kills anybody for it. Not many more people drink alcohol then did during prohibition either per capita.

There is a group called LEAP. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition made up of thousands of cops prosecuters and judges who are against the prohibition of drugs. LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs

The way I see it everybody would benefit from legalizing all drugs except for drug dealers, narcotics officers and prison guards. We would have lower crime and a lot more money as well as less overdoses.

As long as people want drugs somebody is going to show up with them no matter how many people we put in prison for it. If we want people to not do drugs the only way is if they don't want to do them.

I have to add, Peckerwood, that the war against drugs is the war they're never going to win. People want drugs and they'll fork over more money than even the US military budget to get them. It's just an enormous waste of time, effort and money ...and human lives unfortunately, from the ones lost on the battlefield to the ones wasted in prisons.

w

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Control freak ?

"The control freaks are coming out of the wood work all over the world, brother...
Hang on to your hat !!"

Well, what I want to do is walk in front of people, throwing crap on the pavement so that they have to walk thru it, then, I want to tell my friends to do the same !

Would people like this ?

Well done control freaks, if that is what they are .

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]The way I see it everybody would benefit from legalizing all drugs except for drug dealers, narcotics officers and prison guards. [snip].

That's what we did in the Netherlands for soft drugs (hard drugs are still illegal period). Problem is, if you make it illegal to deal, how are the citizens getting their legal portion?
The way we did it was to semi-legalize 'coffee shops' where you can buy weed. Get caught with more than 5 grams, you're declared a dealer and arrested.
It does work, except in border towns with countries that don't have this policy. So if you want to do it for instance in the US you need to do it Nation-wide all at once. Will not happen I guess.

jan didden

The real reason that pot/hemp was made illegal in the late 30s in the US was because of heavy lobbying by DuPont. They wanted to clear the road to make a profit on nylon.

Hemp not only makes much more environmentaly friendly paper, it makes much better paper.

dave

...and clothes, and pressboard (plywood), and insulation, and rope, and.....I could go on and on....

You hear all kinds of flat out lies that keep the masses supporting the war on drugs too. Like "They are selling drugs to school kids". That is complete asiatic black bear dung. Nobody is selling drugs to your school kids. Even if anybody was stupid enough to do that school kids can't afford good drugs.

Another is "Cops are giving their lives every day fighting the war on drugs." This is complete European Byson feces. According to the FBI 2.3 cops per year are killed in the war on drugs. Compare that to the 775,000 people per year whose lives are completely ruined and they are sent to prison for nothing more than possession of marijuana and the who knows how many innocent people shot and killed in drug raids when they raid the wrong houses and stuff like that which probably include those 2.3 cops. There are less cops killed in the war on drugs than any other group of people especially completely innocent bystanders. The cops are the ones who can decide to end it anytime they want to. So nobody would be killed at all if it weren't for them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.