Soz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here it is so far. The 8R on the white papers are 50 watters, I plan on using 250W, the paper is the footprint of the big Dales. I'm pretty sure the sink can handle 25-30W.

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,042
Joined 2003
Paid Member

side shot.

Eventually I will have to build a BOSOZ to drive it. I have every intention of X-ing it, but after all Ive heard about the SOZ, I wanna hear it stock first. I can only imagine bi-amping using the SOZ and Aleph 2. Sweet sound would be an understatement.

regards

JH

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 862
I know those 250 watt Dale resistors are pretty expensive... did
you consider paralleling 50 watt resistors to get your 8ohms?
Might be cheaper than the price you're paying for the hefty 250's.

Plus it allows you to spread out the heat over more of the heatsink.

Looks pretty cool :) Always like seeing SOZ's.

consider X'ing it too.

keep us updated with pics!!

m.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
But can your house wiring handle it? :confused:

It might look nice it you make a wood frame with a recessed ledge on top for the heatsink to plop into. So it would be about 3" tall with the heatsink facing up. Low profile, kind of like B&O

Got my 50 watters from Apex Jr. He doesn't list them and I don't know if he has more, but he had 8 ohm for $2 ea.

GO Soz!!:D

Joined 2003
Paid Member
makes much more sense

I already have 8 - 8R 50 watters. All I need is 24 more, not too bad as they are $4.26 a piece, much cheaper than buying 8 250's. The 8R I have are RH type and I'll buy 24 more RH type, the 1R are NH type, I am assuming that this will be fine to mix. I read somewhere on this forum that RH are more warm sounding while the NH are more analytical, so if i mix them will I enter another dimension?:clown:

regards,
JH

Attachments

• 8r pwr resistor.jpg
    8r pwr resistor.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 762
Joined 2003
Paid Member
revised layout

Heres what one channel will look like. 16 - 8R 50W in series-parallel, and 3 1R 50W. The 4 mosfets for both channels will be mounted on a separate sink 12"L x 9.75"W 2.2"Fins. Still debating whether I should go with 35 or 38 V secondaries. Will the fact that I'm doubling current from each X-formr be taken into consideration?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 609
Good idea to mount the mosfets on a separate heat sink. Not sure if the resistors on top will cook more than the ones on the bottom. Not to get you alarmed. But if you run it for a while and you start to smell a funky electronic burning thing. Dive for the off switch. No just kidding I hope. Cool heat sinks. SOZ does get really hot though.

light bulbs

Hi!
May be it is not the right thread, but I try to ask here:
I got some 125V/150W light bulbs from Mexico ( thanks for Milan! ) and I measured the cold resistance and it was 7.5 R! Would it be possible to use them for the SOZ, instead of the 8R resistors?!?
I don't know how many % would grow the resistance on 21-24V, but in the Zen Light article there is fig.3 what show that a 120V/150W bulbs on 40V draw 0,4A, so 44 / 0,6 = 66 R. Would the bulb's resistance grow realy so much in warm condition???
Tyimo

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The short answer is no, because as they heat up, the
resistance of the filament changes pretty dramatically.

If you go through the Zen Lite article, you'll see some
data on the subject, but it's certainly easy enough
to parallel up a bunch of light bulbs to get the resistance
you want. The 150 watt bulbs I tested in the article
came up about 80 ohms, and you will note that you
will probably need higher supply rails and higher resistance
than in the article, but otherwise it will work fine.

Heureka!

Hi!
I have a good news! I bought and measured a 42V-100W light bulb and the reasult is super: on 18.8V there is 1.56A, what's mean the bulb has 12 Ohm resistance!
On 24.2V: 1.81A = 13.3 R
On 37.4V: 2.28A = 16.4 R.
So, My questions:
-for the Zen Light should I use only one bulb with 38 V?
-for the SOZ: what is the highest value of the R1-R2 and R3-R4? Is the 12 Ohm too high? I know in the SOZ article there is : "7.5-8.5 ohm will not make a significant difference..."

Greets:
Tyimo

bulbs

Hi Variac!
I don't know for what is it normally use for. May be it have been created for Zen Light.... ?!? :))
It is absolute looks like a normal bulb, also the socket and every size of it. The price is only 1.95 Euro!
But, I ask still, what is the highest value for the SOZ R1-R2 and R3-R4 resistors? I would like use, if possible only one bulb instead of the 8R power resistors, becouse if I would parallel the bulbs to get the 7R I would have so many bulbs on light that I could open a Solarium Studio...:))
Another question: could I operate my Zen Light on 33-36 V, with this bulb?? Becouse I would like to build a Zen Light and a SOZ Light amp too.

Greets:
Tyimo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.