• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sovtek's sad tale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, coming from the days of predictable performance from RCA and the like, I don't always sleep well regarding some Russian tubes. I am at present sticking to ...EHs, after having examined/chopped open several defunct samples (thrown out by the disco fraternity). I found the EHs' internal construction most consistent, also characteristics.

To join Dave, I would also appreciate recent news about the Sovtek matter.

DaveMcLain said:
I have not heard much about this issue of Mathews losing control of his factory in Russia as of late. But the prices of the tubes he sells have sure gone UP! I wonder if this is strictly a function of exchange rates or is production getting more difficult?

Three primary forces are at work driving up the prices:

1. The weak US dollar (for customers outside the US this may not apply of course)

2. Increases in energy, transportation/shipping, and raw materials costs

3. Some wage inflation in Russia

On the plant - at this point, it's pretty much Mike Mathews 1, Russian thugs 0. He seeems to have beaten them, with the help of a number of his larger customers and the US government.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jim McShane said:

Three primary forces are at work driving up the prices:

1. The weak US dollar (for customers outside the US this may not apply of course)

2. Increases in energy, transportation/shipping, and raw materials costs

3. Some wage inflation in Russia

On the plant - at this point, it's pretty much Mike Mathews 1, Russian thugs 0. He seeems to have beaten them, with the help of a number of his larger customers and the US government.

Great! For keeping the factory.

More Golden Lion types please. A proper 12AU7 from that level of construction too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.