• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Sovtek 6C45pi-E bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Just a little question...

This thread seems to have evolved into a discussion of how to solve the problems posed by using a 6C45 as the input valve of a power amplifier. Is there a particular reason that you have chosen this valve rather than any other? Do you want to share the whole power amplifier diagram?

Well, I have heard a lot of good words about 6C45 and I wanted to try them, so I bought a couple.
But I haven't tried them yet.
Other tubes? I have 6922, ECC82, 6H30.

Sorry, but I haven't got the whole schematic in a proper format to publish here, just on paper.
And the current design is just preliminary, a lot of changes have to be done during the experimenting.
In fact I haven't tried none of my current drawings for this amplifier.

But the design I have now use 6C45 as the input tube, 12BH7 is used as a differentialpair phase splitter and KT88 is used as output tubes(ultra-linear).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Gunderz said:
Well, I have heard a lot of good words about 6C45 and I wanted to try them, so I bought a couple.
But I haven't tried them yet.
Other tubes? I have 6922, ECC82, 6H30.
6C45 is indeed a very nice valve, but not ideal as the input valve of a power amplifier. 7N7 would be ideal.

Your 6C45's could be used in a cathode follower line stage (following a 100k volume control).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Bas Horneman said:
Looks like my Blue sky 813 is going to use the 7n7 after all...maybe something like 7n7 cap coupled to 6c45pi transformer coupled to 813.
You might need a bit of a step-up (1:1.5?) to drive the 813. I think it will take a fair bit of juggling to marry 6C45 to 813. Alternatively, were you intending to use the 6C45 as a transformer coupled cathode follower? That might work rather nicely.

alternatives

Hi Bas ,
Sorry to confuse the thread . A possibly good candidate for driving an 813 would be the 6EM7 or it's cheap series string equivalents , 10EM7 , 13EM7 and 15EM7 . This has a high mu (66) and low mu (5-6) 750r Ra beefy section all in one bottle . This may possibly make a very simple way of driving an 813 is the sections are cascaded . As for Fatbottle , well....rumour has it he's hanging around this forum now .

316a

Fatbottle is that you? ;-)

The 6EM7 looks like a real good candidate..I believe Vinnie at the AA has posted something like that has he not?

O well it it still such a long time away... that 813..Who knows I might run into a couple of those tubes you mentioned.

I'll stop hi-jacking this guy's thread..I was just curious why the 7N7 was an ideal tube. You know how us amateurs are like when some tube is touted as ideal or good..price of the 7n7 has probably gone up $1 as we speak..

Cheers,
Bas

Re: alternatives

316a said:
Hi Bas ,
Sorry to confuse the thread . A possibly good candidate for driving an 813 would be the 6EM7 or it's cheap series string equivalents , 10EM7 , 13EM7 and 15EM7 . This has a high mu (66) and low mu (5-6) 750r Ra beefy section all in one bottle . This may possibly make a very simple way of driving an 813 is the sections are cascaded . As for Fatbottle , well....rumour has it he's hanging around this forum now .

316a

If you are going to drive your 813s directly from a CD player, whilst the *EM7 series would work well, you might have too much gain.
316A is on to a good thing with these dissimilar triodes. I have tested certain types for distortion and early indications are that they look good.

You could look for example at 6EW7/10EW7/15EW7. These offer a gain of 20 from one section and 6 from the low ra section. You could easily drive an 813 very nicely from the anode of this beefy section. With simple resistance loading, the two stages would give you A of about 70, which would be just about perfect for driving 813s from a CD player, assuming that you are running the 813s at my favoured spot: 850V and 100mA = c. -75V bias.

7N7

watch out !

...they've heard of the 7N7 in Hong Kong . I sold 50 loctal sockets to a Chinese lady there who was using 7N7 in a commercial amplifier . I only asked her what she was using them for as for a split second I could nearly smell 3a/167m . Soon over there 7N7 will be as popular as special fried rice . Get them while you still can . 14N7's are the way to go though : $2 each on Ebay

ps You know those famous metal based Sylvania 6SN7WGT's ? Well the Sylvania tall-bottle 7N7 is identical in every way , apart from the basing and price of course !

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DISSIMILAR TRIODES.

Hi,

Just for the record,I used a pair of 6EM7s to drive a PP 211 dome years ago.

Worked fine the 211 an should be fine for 813 too.

Not all of them are really cheap but if you don't stick to the 6.3V heaters then a whole host of cheap possiblities open up.

Guess they would find out about the 7N7 sooner or later...:bawling:

Cheers,;)

Re: DISSIMILAR TRIODES.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Guess they would find out about the 7N7 sooner or later...:bawling:

Cheers,;)

Don't mention 7N7 on "Tubes Asylum".

The only valve they like is the 12AU7:devily:

7N7
;)

Attachments

• roflmao.gif
    roflmao.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 931
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with the Sovtek 6C45pi-E tube.
I'm intending to use them in my transformer coupled preamp instead of the Raytheon 5842A and was wondering if anyone had a good advice about the bias operating point.

They wil be used with the existing power supply wich means that, depending on the current drawn, there wil be something btween 160 and 170V on the anode of the tube. The interstage transformer is a 4200/300 Ohm type rated at 30mA DC current.

Well, nobody really answered this. A friend runs the 6S45PE in the "Euridice" and he perfers as much current though the Valve as he can get. He also tends to prefer a sound charateristic that I personally find overly bright.

I personally must side with Ciro Marzio who preferred the WE417A with less current and more anode voltage sonically. Having played with WE417A, 437A, 6S45PE,c triode wired high Gm Pentodes and 6922 and derivates I consistently find that I prefer lower current, higher anode voltage operating condistions, they tend to give a more relaxed, composed and insightfull sound.

What is the upshot of this? Try both the JC Morrison/Dr. Arthur Loesch doctrine of "Hot and Low" and the Ciro Marzio/Kondo/Kuei Yang Wang doctrine of "cold and high", especially when combined with underheating the Valve at the tollerance limit.

Both doctrines give very different sonics from the same valve - decide which you like.

Sayonara

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MIDDLE OF THE ROAD.

Hi,

Both doctrines give very different sonics from the same valve - decide which you like.

Well I'm quite aware of what you can do with a valve to change it's sonic footprint,I find striving for a romantic, lush sound is very much a matter of taste.

I do agree however that a predominantly even order harmonic distortion picture is more pleasing to the ear,it is still just that...distortion.

If one were to strive for an as neutral and faithful to the source as possible equipment I suppose some people may still object?

Cheers,;)

Thanks, that's the answer I needed. Think I'n going to use a potmeter at the cathode for a while to see wich bias point I really like. I don't care about a little distortion or coloration as long as it sounds good to me and as long as I enjoy music with it , it's o.k. with me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.