Southern Ontario diyFEST

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm 40 mins north of Barrie in Midland, but I'll travel to meet some people that have the same interest. All of my designs are for prosound audio and it may take me some time to rebuild my base stock seeing as I'm very busy with my day job(whatever pays the bills). But count me in:)

Hi everyone, OP here.

I sincerely apologize to everyone because I've been totally remiss and let this go nowhere. I won't bore you with my problems but let's just say I got 99 of 'em.

I am moving AGAIN at the end of October, and hopefully my life will then be able to return to some kind of normalcy and consistency.

In the meantime I'm going to try to forge ahead with this.

Does anyone have any ideas for venues for this? I'm keen to hear some suggestions.

Once again I'm sorry I've been useless here for too long.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi simon7000,
Hamilton is easier for those south of the border.
Most people will be confused by the way the roads go in Hamilton. Not unless you choose somewhere close to an exit off the QEW or highway # 403.

Burlington, Oakville / Halton Hills and Mississauga are laid out in a way easier to understand. Toronto can be extremely drive - car unfriendly if you aren't very careful. Places a little north are generally not too bad to get around in, unless you're directly north of Toronto where things can get ugly in a hurry. Getting around Toronto can be unpleasant.

I have limited driving range due to some medical issues I have, but I will make an effort to get to the site. Now for a basic question. What do you want to achieve at the first get together? I think it would be great to match names and faces to screen names. A head count would help in picking the right place too.

-Chris

I'm inclined to agree with anatech. My work takes me all over Peel and Halton and I'd be much more comfortable sending non-locals into Burlington, Oakville or Mississauga than Hamilton, it's taken me two years to get a basic understanding of that labrynth of one-ways and flyovers. Toronto proper is also a bit dodgy, if for nothing else because of the traffic.

I think we should probably shoot for a howdoyoudo sort of thing, bring some things to show off if we like but not make a travelling circus of it on the first outing.

I count 24 people expressing interest so far. I think we should assume a fair number will not be able to attend for whatever reason, so at the moment it's not looking like we'll need to rent out the ex.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,
A howdoyoudo is probably the best idea. That way we can either converge on an easily found house, or a coffee shop. What do you mean you don't drink coffee???! It's getting too chilly for a meet outside now.

Hey Relu,
You're always welcome by if you're in the area. You could wait out the traffic if you're caught near the end of the day. It gets really ugly on the way back in as well. Out is worse by a long shot!

Do we have to get you a disguise now? I mean, was the breakup friendly? :)

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
At least there isn't any smoking in bars anymore.

How about a library? :devilr:

We might be unwelcome in a stereo store. Not unless one of you are involved with one and we can kick around some new stuff at the same time. Anyone work at TheTubeStore? That would be an amazing place to land. I've never been there (Hamilton).

-Chris

I used to work at a very nice little hifi shop but I can say without a doubt that the owner, although a true gentleman, is also probably not up for letting diyers congregate. Encouraging DIY does rather fly in the face of his business model.

Would a library let us test our equipment??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Relu,
No sweat. There's plenty of noise around the forum these days...

Just drop in if you're in the area, no need to call in advance with the following cautions.
I'm not up and running first thing in the mornings unless I have to be.
Please call sometime before so I can let you know if I'm expected out anywhere for test or whatever. Normally Wednesdays are rough as I have an appointment for treatment. Depending on the doctor, it's either in the morning or later afternoon.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.