Sourcepoint 8 Crossover upgrade path

Above is the crossover from the Mofi Sourcepoint 8. The size of the board is the exact size of the hole that sits in the speaker so the components can be a bit taller but not wider than the board. Are there any good capacitors or resistors that would fit that could be an upgrade for this?

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd get rid of the cheap polyester MET caps and replace with Clarity PX. Switch out the electrolytic (likely the parallel cap on the woofer LP) with a Mundorf ECap. Don't touch the inductors. They appear to have air cores and look decent, plus you'd have to account for their DCR.

You won't notice a difference with decent resistors, even of they're wire wound. Sometimes a good metal film resistor in the HF signal path can be audible, but its a very minute difference, not enough to be heard. I like resistors with non magnetic leads, which most non- or low inductance WW resistors are. My first choices are always mills or vishay.

I recently ordered a bunch of the dayton audio / parts express green bodied WW copper lead resistors. They're relatively small for their power rating and have welded copper leads. They're very low temp coefficient compared to other wire wound resistors. Be advised that WW resistors placed close to HF inductors can pick up small amounts of crosstalk depending on the value.

Eagle metal film resistors are very nice in the HF HP section, but again here its a very subtle difference, especially if the series resistance is low. MF resistors usually sound better in higher resistance values used in the HF pad section.

I'd get rid of the cheap polyester MET caps and replace with Clarity PX. Switch out the electrolytic (likely the parallel cap on the woofer LP) with a Mundorf ECap. Don't touch the inductors. They appear to have air cores and look decent, plus you'd have to account for their DCR.
Is there a way to tell which side is positive and which side is negative when the ECap is just one color all the way around?