source caps for aleph 1.7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The great thing about those caps is that they "can be used to relieve the music’s vibration energy, to decrease the peak feeling sound at high compass..."

I'm not aware of any other capacitors that do that.

Straight from the Digikey catalog (but I'm guessing those are Elna's words).

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hello All!

Well Ive received the silmic II's, now its got me thinking.

being an Electrolytic, does it matter which end (negetive or positive) goes into the circuit of the Ap1.7, Im thinking it doesnt matter, but...
also is it recommended bypassing these.

Cheers
Also being 35v ones they are even smaller than BG N.
Makes my board look wimpy:rolleyes:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I hope you don't plan on playing "Pop goes the weasel" as your first song with those caps.

The input voltage is 60V on this one (AP1.7 right?) and in Nelson's article - Balanced Zen Line Stage, he calls for P5593-ND for C103-106, which is a 10uF/100V cap

It would be a shame to see those nice Elna's go up in smoke.:hot:

twitchie said:
The input voltage is 60V on this one (AP1.7 right?)

There's a voltage divider (221K//221K, R40 something) on the P1.7 input that drops the drain voltage to a much lower level at the gate.
A 35V electrolytic on the input would blow with a continuous voltage coming from the source that's very very negative.
Elna doesn't mention surge values in their datasheets, you're welcome to try and see if you can popcorn the weasel at 35Vdc max across the leads.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
freakyone said:

Why are the people using only 50v BG N s?

If we adjust lower gain and listen to the music at gentle level always, the 50V electrolytic output coupling caps could be okay . . . :clown:

Telac warns: "The cannons of the Telarc Digital "1812" are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment."

>:)<

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
if you check the P1.7 threads you'll find that most people are measuring round 14V across the input caps and about 28V across the output caps - unless they have made a build error. :smash:

Oddly enough the 50V BG N's have been trouble free for almost 2 years in my P1.7 clone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.