Soundstream Reference 404

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
9604 is the production/date code. They were produced in the 4th week of 1996.

That's the correct rectifier to replace the FEP rectifiers. The FEN rectifiers would be FEP16DTA.

Either of those FETs will work.

Try the BD140 for the driver. The pin configuration is reversed so you'll have to install it facing the opposite direction. If you're going to continue doing repair work, order a extra BD140s and order a few of the BD139s. They're generally good subs for power supply driver transistors.

Also order a couple of the 2N2222s in case they're defective.

9604 is the production/date code. They were produced in the 4th week of 1996.

That's the correct rectifier to replace the FEP rectifiers. The FEN rectifiers would be FEP16DTA.

Either of those FETs will work.

Try the BD140 for the driver. The pin configuration is reversed so you'll have to install it facing the opposite direction. If you're going to continue doing repair work, order a extra BD140s and order a few of the BD139s. They're generally good subs for power supply driver transistors.

Also order a couple of the 2N2222s in case they're defective.

For the 2n2222, does it make a difference the amp rating or power dissipation?
I found these, in stock
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor 2n2222

And for the bd140, I found these
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Component Distributor Bd140

i was about to order from mouser, when i thought why don't i ask Jaime for the parts
since he's pulled through for me in the past

this is what he recommended

mtp52n06 which replaces the SMP50N06-25
MUR1620CT which replaces the FEP16DT
he has the 2SA1562
and he also had the black screws that hold the RCA jacks to the metal case, which i was missing.
i don't know where he comes up with these parts but thank god for him :)

what do you think of his replacement parts?
close enough to work fine?
i just thought i'd double check, don't want to put the wrong part and end up having to replace more parts

Hi there :)

I have a similar issue. My 404s worked perfectly since new and just recently blew fuses at start up. It blows fuses just as soon as the remote is turned on without and speakers connected.

Based on what I read here I found one of the FET's bad and replaced all 4 with 2 FEP16DT & 2 FEP16DTA

I re-assembled plugged back in and blown fuses again. :(

I removed all power supply FET's from section 1 in the photos here and all test ok.

I did notice that the PCB trace going to the middle leg of the top regulator in section 3 was burned up so I made a bridge to replace it. Its unclear if the trace also went to the top leg as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Hi kmarei, If your looking for the mosfets for the R404 mouser has FQP50N06's in stock. There part number is: 512-FQP50N06idesigned and built all the old soundstream amps. if you need or anybody out there needs any help let me know.

I sold the 404 a long time ago
I'm down to just the Soundstream Angina sub amp
Best sounding sub amp ever
Thank you for all the work you've done for Soundstream
I bought my very first reference 300 back in 1996
Been in love with the brand since then
I've owned pretty much all of them
Still own a davinci motherboard with everything on it
Except the control boards that have the inputs
But finding a case will be next to impossible
I wonder if I can hard wire some RCA inputs to it?

Hey kmarei,
I'm glad to hear that you like the old Soundstream amps. The very first amps were designed by Nelson Pass, but after that I took over both the design and my company manufactured all of them. You mentioned that you have a Davinci Board assembly. Is it the complete board assy. with the heat sinks and all of the other components? Does that include the control board with all of the pots and switches on it? Since you mentioned that you would like to add some rca jacks on the inputs I have included a schematic for the Davinci. To explain how to add the jacks would be kind of tedious to tell you here. If you want to call me at the phone number below or send me your number I'll call you. Basically all you need to do is ground the negative input to each preamp but it would be best if I can explain it to you while we are both looking at the schematic and can reference part numbers directly.
As far as the chassis the front panel is just a standard 19" wide rack panel typically used on professional audio and most test equipment or even computers that are mounted in a standard 19" rack. I don't remember the actual height of the panel but you should be able to find a standard height panel that is close to the original. It just needs to be high enough to cover the board assembly.That should be easy to find. Once you find it you will need to have some machining done on it. The metal box that covers the back of the amp would have to be made. you should be able to find a company that makes custom metal chassis somewhere near you. I'm sorry I don't have mechanical drawings for that amp.
Anything else you need just let me know and If you know anyone that needs help, information or an old school Soundstream amp repaired I'd appreciate it if send them my way.

Thanks,

Wade Stewart
8513 elm ave
orangevale, ca 95662
916 294 7967

Hey kmarei,
I'm glad to hear that you like the old Soundstream amps. The very first amps were designed by Nelson Pass, but after that I took over both the design and my company manufactured all of them. You mentioned that you have a Davinci Board assembly. Is it the complete board assy. with the heat sinks and all of the other components? Does that include the control board with all of the pots and switches on it? Since you mentioned that you would like to add some rca jacks on the inputs I have included a schematic for the Davinci. To explain how to add the jacks would be kind of tedious to tell you here. If you want to call me at the phone number below or send me your number I'll call you. Basically all you need to do is ground the negative input to each preamp but it would be best if I can explain it to you while we are both looking at the schematic and can reference part numbers directly.
As far as the chassis the front panel is just a standard 19" wide rack panel typically used on professional audio and most test equipment or even computers that are mounted in a standard 19" rack. I don't remember the actual height of the panel but you should be able to find a standard height panel that is close to the original. It just needs to be high enough to cover the board assembly.That should be easy to find. Once you find it you will need to have some machining done on it. The metal box that covers the back of the amp would have to be made. you should be able to find a company that makes custom metal chassis somewhere near you. I'm sorry I don't have mechanical drawings for that amp.
Anything else you need just let me know and If you know anyone that needs help, information or an old school Soundstream amp repaired I'd appreciate it if send them my way.

Thanks,

Wade Stewart
8513 elm ave
orangevale, ca 95662
916 294 7967

Howdy Wade, Glad to see you online with us here. Its been a while since we talked in email. Welcome aboard! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.