SoundStream D100II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For the rest of the tests, keep the audio clean (not clipping).

Find the point where R3 and R4 connect. That's the input to the differential amplifier. Gradually increase the input level comparing the signal level at that point with the output. The gain should remain constant between those points. Is there a point where the gain changes significantly?

Interesting.. if I tune R1 (input level control), it is set at the "loudest" setting. Turning is (as expected) will lower the output until it cannot be heard. However, if I bypass the variable resistor, the amplifier appears to operate "normally".

The variable resistors both seem fine..

I was about to remove it to test, but decided to wiggle and tap it while the amp was on, and I think that is the problem.. with enough movement the amplifier started working.. UGH, something so simple.. :(

Now, I need to find a source for them?? Or, is it safe to just bypass them? I would typically leave them at the maximum level anyway..

In the meantime, I broke something else. The relay is not kicking on. I think one of my test leads fell and hit something. May have blown Q201, which is a MPSA14. I bought some spare MPSA42's, will that work? If not I have to pay $10 to ship a 50 cent transistor...

Parts came in today. I installed the 2 POTs and Q201 (for the relay). Amp works GREAT.. Let it play on the bench for a while to make sure all was good, and after about 10 min the relay kicked out.

Replaced Q201 again (good thing I got extra), and it is playing yet again. Turned it back off for now.

Any idea what would cause Q201 to blow out?

Thanks

I tested it, and it was bad.. But, I may have damaged further while testing it "live" because at one point the relay kicked back on... It was behaving like a short across E-C, no delay when powering up.

Just tested the voltages on the new transistor..
E-B is 1.3V

E-C is .7V

I did replace D202 previously with a BAW76, I can do the same with D203.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.