• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Soundstage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope, like this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Its from Bent Audio BentAudio.com :: TAP

It has a choice of either purely passive or an active buffer.

I haven't heard it, but I would like to. I think for $350 I would buy an assembled version of just the Autotransformers from intact. Listen to them and if I like what I heard only then would I consider Bent Audio.

In the end though I think I would prefer to design a tube buffer stage if I felt I needed it and I'm not talking about the typical classically designed tube buffer.

SET12

I have been using John's PRE for several years.As John is close to me and we did several projects together ( I built several speakers for him) John made me a custom version of his PRE to work along with a Greg Ball 150 AMP that I had John also build out for me.
GB150D Stereo Amplifier Kit

I like the combo very much

That is one sharp looking preamp, I imagine it sounds pretty nice as well. Did you build it?

Yes. It's based on the 26 tube, but uses Bent Audio autoformer volume controls on the output in a parafeed setup. The autoformers also function as output transformers, with 150H of primary inductance, which is plenty since the impedance feeding them is only about 1500ohms (mu output of the 26 plate CCS). Soundstage is very nice.

Nope, like this

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Its from Bent Audio BentAudio.com :: TAP

It has a choice of either purely passive or an active buffer.

I haven't heard it, but I would like to. I think for $350 I would buy an assembled version of just the Autotransformers from intact. Listen to them and if I like what I heard only then would I consider Bent Audio.

In the end though I think I would prefer to design a tube buffer stage if I felt I needed it and I'm not talking about the typical classically designed tube buffer.

SET12

Yup, in a manner of speaking, I wrapped the Bent passive around my 26 active. Very nice combo; I have zero desire to build another preamp at this point.

I have been using John's PRE for several years.As John is close to me and we did several projects together ( I built several speakers for him) John made me a custom version of his PRE to work along with a Greg Ball 150 AMP that I had John also build out for me.
GB150D Stereo Amplifier Kit

I like the combo very much

I like the amplifier especially the option for Class A.

Yes. It's based on the 26 tube, but uses Bent Audio autoformer volume controls on the output in a parafeed setup. The autoformers also function as output transformers, with 150H of primary inductance, which is plenty since the impedance feeding them is only about 1500ohms (mu output of the 26 plate CCS). Soundstage is very nice.

Gives me some faith in the auto-transformer thanks for the explanation. Gives me more food for thought!

Yup, in a manner of speaking, I wrapped the Bent passive around my 26 active. Very nice combo; I have zero desire to build another preamp at this point.

I think the combo sounds like a great route to go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.