Soundstage Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a stereo mic is essentially a mic with two mono capsules in one casing, the signal is still recorded as two mono signals, but they produce very believable stereo imaging because of the way the capsules are oriented. I usually use paired mics in one or other placement that is known to work for stereo recording such as XY or ORTF.

edit: this is getting offtopic, so further talk in this direction should probably go to a different thread.

Last edited:
Depends on your setup. Give a try, especially if you have a near field system.
See post #5 for some samples.
I listened to some of those, I was denied access to some of them, I listen relatively near field and my system is open baffle. Through my system they sounded very realistic and spacious and it certainly felt like "I was there". On the headphones it was different, not quite a spacious but without the same degree of "in the head" feeling I normally get, which I suppose was only to be expected since we had a natural crossfeed going on ;):)

So I have been listening to 90's rock recordings, like, Live, Better than Ezra (alternative or alt-rock I guess?), counting crows, etc. And I've found the soundstage to be much better than modern bands like the Killers. What gives, what changed? If anything the boombox and crap stereo craze was worse in the 90s than the oughts...

The 90s were the last decade where there was a semblance of dynamic range.
Later on, the loudness war started and it's been going downhill ever since. The Katy Perry range is: red line all the way! Perfect to annoy your neighbors!

Still, a few bands are trying to offer more these days, and their effort is noted.

Daft Punk latest, Random Access Memory, is high praised for its dynamic range, plus with the contributions from Nile Rodgers and Giorgio, it's a nice walk down memory lane .

You might also want to consider giving Infected Mushroom a shot. It's not exactly classic rock, but I find some of their songs very enjoyable. Have a listen to Dancing with Kadafi. Fun.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.