sound quality vs sound quantity.

Is phase more important than frequency?

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow! Whoda thunk my question would generate such a response.

Gonna have a job soon and my GF said i can make ANY speakers i want once that happens. She might regret that, BBBIB here i come!

But seriously, i think ill put sawdust to the question i asked and build a bookshelf 5 1/4" fullranger to test my theory.

thinking of something with a $30 to $50 driver in 1/2" material.

Any ideas?

My russian teacher said: Do what You can.

Did you hear about beat (beating frequency)? That is intermodulation in air - it ca be "heard" at any level, no matter how low, and can be captured with microphones, so it is not a "humar ear deficiency".

Beat frequencies are not intermodulation as they're not caused by non linearity. Beat frequencies will happen in any perfectly linear medium whether air (at less than earsplitting SPL) or voltage on a wire.

Different thing.

Ok, so i found some cheapass 5 1/4's, free oem auto speakers!

they sound terrible really as far as smooth frequency response.

and they are mounted on cardboard open baffles.

and powered by an 80s vintage solid state reciever, fisher rs9005.

and mounted 18" from the floor on a tilted baffle.

all this aside im relaxed and they do things the B&W's just cant do.

they sound holistic. And big somehow.

i wanna buy some of the fostex 5 1/4's and some of the aura cheapies from madisound to confirm this.

so this seems to confirm my original statement, for me anyhow.

it also reminds me why i love martin logan speakers ever since i heard the Aerius i like 18 yrs ago.

No crossovers please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.