Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone want to view this youtube ? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. I like Bill Lowe, but not this presentation of whoever this is. I started at 4 and now 60 if his yardstick matters.

I was highly upset to hear Tesla being said to be not good enough for today. Apart from the almighty I have no other I admire as much as Tesla. I actually found 40 Hz to be interesting if I would change anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITkuBgFtTjs
I'm at 25 minutes so far, he talked about how the balanced-output power transformer for studio use made the bass disappear, soundstage collapse, and mucked up the treble. He's talking about ground being an antenna. I won't argue with that, but I'm waiting for the dots to connect...

Me too. He said something which I think was almost Area 51. He made a very unusual statement about NASA and capacitors and how they had to buy military PSU's to do 70 film caps at a time. The PSU costs $50000 I think. We could build that for $50, by some weird coincidence I know what it is ( not my circuit to share, not rocket science really, closer to welding ). For a start I doubt it is a military device exactly. What he means is people who would do that. I work with the same people and for many years ( unfortunately that's about all I can say and it's very boring if I did ). SME is one by coincidence and I can talk about anything they do that involves me. As far as I can see the NASA ideas were durability tests.The ratings on caps almost ask the same question.

I have to be careful as much of what he says is an extreme version of me. Maybe I needed to see it. Bill who is this person?

That's an image to treasure.

I was so angry as Mac our lab guy taught me that stuff in 1972. We had a lab clean supply.

As for Tesla being yesterdays man with his second rate electrity. A sinewave is perfection. It's frequency is the only question. To my ears we could have used 40 Hz to advantage. 1000 Hz is not my cup of tea.

As for radio available on an Earth wire. Give me strength. Earth is a Vicorian safety feature retained. My dads Sobel valve radio functioned better on a dedicated Earth. Dad was a radar instructor and choose when me aged 4 to tell me why the radio needed that Earth ( the absoulute real one and how a ferrite coil is different ). These people who " do not " stand on the shoulders of Tesla. Mac and my dad might have.

That's an image to treasure.

Good thing you did.

(Good thing 99 percent of the folks I refer to on occasion, use the exact same words among eachother. Folks I've worked with, eaten with, drank with, talked to, gone out clubbing with, even to several special clubs for those folks. The words 99 percent of the decent people who've never or hardly been in touch/contact with those folks, refuse to use or read. Give that Decent Man a cigar ! )

I wasn't being negative.

DC3. The aircraft designers knew they knew a lot. They also knew there was a lot they didn't know. That was a quote from a nowadays designer. I thought to myself that world was the same when audio. When you assume there is nothing that you don't know or it's an abberation of the listener it shows to the world you have a lot to learn.

The DC3 turned the wing shape around and has modern flaps. It made it safe to fly with two engines and used far less fuel. Boeing 777 is equally remarkable and the 787 ( battery now fixed ). DC3 also made it more comfortable. 3 tonne load which means even my 107 kg is inside the 125 kg average ( 21 + 1 + 2 people ). They cost $80 000 then which might be $ 2 000 000 now. An absolute bargain. I have dreamed of having a DC3 with Bombardier jet props as a design project. The fuel is cheaper. I would like an enclosed Tiger Moth with same. I am too old now to think of that. Wood and jets, that's a design problem. A Vampire jet would be nice. My real favourite the Moth as it is faster than any car in reality. It will fly very slow to look at things. The Ford Trimotor shows how a biplane can be comfortable.

An ex BBC friend said a speaker brought to her was wrong. She named the designer. Then I realised it is someone I have known for 30 plus years. SKS speakers then. I remember his partner Norman saying how he didn't agree with BBC designs even then.

She thought the tweeter in the wrong phase. She thought he was a novice and had made a silly mistake. I tried very carefully to say all speakers BBC and other at 3 kHz crossed are awful. I said training will make one prefer the awful one was trained to like. The worst part is the brain has to work hard to live with this as my only concern.

My speakers are very awful . They do somethings very well and it is a marriage I can live with, it's first love each time I listen . They are if you like a 440 side valve engine with fuel injection and shaped pistons. That is like I went back to side valve by choice. They are awful and yet they are fun. They mostly belong in the 1930's or to most the dustbin. A friend said " who would buy those"? No one, I answered.

Perhaps you have hit on something Nigel. Speakers in particular seem to be better the more domestically they are frowned upon from a visual viewpoint. Until you move up in price to a point where this fact begins to even out, good speakers tend to be ugly.....and as for room 'treatments', they would in general not be allowed!

The attached is from the BBC internet news article on preferred sound systems for UK reggae music! [Can't see anyones Mrs wanting that inside the front gate!:)]

Attachments

• _87623249_2.jahshaka,albanyempire,deptford,london1984,stephenmoscophotography.jpg
    _87623249_2.jahshaka,albanyempire,deptford,london1984,stephenmoscophotography.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 250
And you also. My supposed Parkinsons isn't. That's the best prize I could ever get. My doctor very honest and said no idea what it is. Already I do things better as that sword not hanging over my head. People, if you have a friend who may not be in the best of health be positive with them. It can help. My doctor said 5 years ago she would have treated me with drugs for Parkinsons and not had a clue. I had a very expensive radioactive injection that came up form Harwell and used their most expensive scanner at the Oxford Radcliffe. It's half life critical, I was warned I would get a big bill if I didn't show up. Also I would be radioactive for a few days. Not a great time to go through detectors.

How many in hi fi would be as honest as my Dr Hu. She is the real deal.

The radioactivity was about as much as one should have. Not enough to be risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.